Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on sailing path to take...

• 25-05-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I love being out in the water whether in a powerboat or sailboat. Last few years I've done a few courses (sailing and power boating). Recently I tried dingy sailing because
    1. It's what my local club does primarily.
    2. I was told that it's the best way to really get stuck in to sailing

But I hated dingy sailing. I'm 6 foot 3. I found the dingy cramped and awkward. I kept getting leg cramps! I'm don't like capsizing and righting my boat. I tried toppers and laser picos.

I don't think dinghies are for me.

What options are there to learn? Should I try to crew? I've heard that you just get screamed at (if you're racing) or are just told to sit somewhere out of the way and be quiet. I don't think I'm into racing, probably more into cruising/leisure sailing. I'm not ultra competitive. I can't cruise on my own but do most larger boats exist solely for the purpose of racing?

I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

I'd love to sail but like I said I hate dinghies and I don't want to get screamed at by some borderline personality on a yacht!

Should I just stick to getting a motorboat? This would be a bit like admitting defeat.

Assuming the following:
    - I'm not getting back into a tiny dinghy
    - I'm not into getting screamed at
    - I'm don’t think I’m into racing, I prefer to sail for leisure

What should I do?

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

May not be what you want to hear, but how about building one of these you can pick the perfect boat to suit your needs. https://www.boatdesigns.com/Sailboats/departments/12/ and there is nothing like building your own boat and then launching her.:D
    Have a look at the customer photos the Glen-l 12 - 15 look great and are not too hard to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matsugawa

Thanks but it's not really a buy or build issue. I suppose the question I'm asking is if I want to sail but not race what are the options? What size/type of boat should I be looking to crew on? Should I do it via a club? Would that be a waste of time as club members only want crews for racing and if they are leisure sailing jut have mates as crew?

Half the problem (I think) is I'm not coming from a sailing background so I know no-one who can advise me.

All the advice I've got so far has been from other club members/instructors on various courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Dinghies aren't for everyone. The best way of getting out is going on a racing crew but you need to find the right crew for you. A club gives you more of a chance to do this but again you need to find the right people in the club. Not all skippers will scream and shout, some are very relaxed and just go racing for a laugh. I'd be reluctant to take someone on a cruise without having met them a few times first and this is normally done by bringing people on races or in the clubs afterwards. Qualifications are useful but very few skippers will ever take someone based purely on these. Also keep an eye on sailing forums and club websites where crew are sometimes requested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Dinghies aren't for everyone. I've never been in one and I sail over to UK, west Cork etc on my small cruiser.
    There are some shouters, need to be ignored. Watch for the boat that isn't very well maintained and where owner goes out to race for the hell of it and doesn't mind coming in nearly last. Owner unlikely to shout.
    If in Dublin DMYC is better because the snobs and agressive types avoit it. Similarly in Cork, try Cobh rather than RCYC.

Thanks for the advice. I'm based up in Malahide but both Malahide and Skerries are dinghy clubs. There is some cruiser sailing in Skerries but I think it's limited.

What are wayfarers like? The seem stable on the water and get around OK. I don't mind being on a small crew. I just don't want to have to don my wetsuit and expect to be dunked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Howth Yacht Club and I think Malahide Yacht Club both run Adult sailing courses on cruisers rather than dinghys. It's usually a few midweek evenings after work and they use club members cruisers. I've heard of a few people who have done the HYC course who then graduated to crewing on cruisers in the White Sail fleet (Non Spinnaker-more relaxed).
    It's a great way to pick up the skills and evenually decide if you want to race or cruise. Many of the white sail fleets are big into cruising also, so you may get offered crewing spots for some daysailing or longer cruises.
    Most cruisers would be delighted to have a big 6 foot 3 crew member for some of the heavier jobs. If you show some enthusiasm and are willing to make yourself available then you'll be snapped up.
    HYC Crewfinder is a good place to start. http://www.hyc.ie/crewfinder/default.asp
    Actually, the first entry sounds perfect for you.

Thanks for that - would you suggest doing a course or just getting stuck into crewing? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure the theory from squids and dinghies will scale up to bigger boats? Don't know if I can face another course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Sorry I forgot you had done some training already. If you've done a course or two you'll be way ahead of a lot of the people. Everything scales up. It's no harm doing a bit of research online before you head out. Maybe look for a glossary of cruiser sailing terms and a diagram of what's what on a boat so you don't feel like too much of a beginner.
    As that advertisement said - beginners welcome. There is a huge shortage of racing crew so you'll be very welcome.
    Don't be put off by the whole racing thing. The White Sails fleet is very popular now with people who are fairly new or who have trouble getting 8 or 9crew. A lot of cruising people are getting into it as a way of getting out on the water more. It's very laid back and it's a great way to meet people.
    Send that guy an email today and let us know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I know you mentioned that you are not big into racing, but there are cruiser races in Skerries every Wednesday evening and Sunday morning and new crew are always welcome.

A good night would see anywhere from 6 - 10 cruisers of all sizes and different levels of experience, most just looking to have fun with a bit of friendly competition thrown in.

There is also an offshore series for the cruisers with races / cruises to Carlingford, Isle of Man, Wicklow, around Lambay, Poolbeg to name a few.

Racing is certainly one of the best ways to hone your sailing skills, while ensuring that you are getting out on the water regularily.

Thanks for the advise everyone. Went out racing in a cruiser yesterday off Howth and really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Glad you enjoyed the cruiser race, but don't write off dinghies just yet.

Picos and Toppers (presumably the original or the Uno type) are not the only fruit! 6'3'' is very big for what are (let's be honest) kids' boats.

Two man dinghies (for example Fireballs, Vagos, IDRA 14s) or slightly larger 2/3 man keel-boat dinghies (e.g. Mermaids, Squibs, the larger Lasers) are much roomier, and far less likely to go over (not that they don't). There's the companionship and convenience of a small team, and (relative) ease of transport. I've crewed a fair bit now, and I've only ever been shouted at when it was absolutely necessary (or so the helm tells me). Cruiser racing is a lot of fun, but the immediacy, camaraderie and relative inexpense of dinghy racing is hard to beat if you're even vaguely able-bodied - cruisers will always be there when the back goes and the rheumatics set in!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Any general advice for someone thinking of getting a boat and who has never got one before?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

Larger dinghies are great fun.
    Topaz etc are more or less plastic beach dinghies and don't handle as well as most fibreglass or wooden ones.
    I am 6'2 and loved crewing & helming on national 18's. Plenty of room and part of a 3 man team. There is a good fleet of them in Cork harbour which leads to great events and after parties.
    Have a look and see what large dinghy fleets are in your area. The bigger the fleet, the more chances you have to find a like minded crew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

eh2010 wrote: »
    Any general advice for someone thinking of getting a boat and who has never got one before?

Get lessons. Lots of them.

I was buying a boat from a friend and she insisted I get lessons before she would sell it to me. Best advice I ever got.

And don't be afraid to start off in dinghies. You are on your own, you get a much better feel for the boat (and the wind, and the currents, and so on...). Then you can do as I did and migrate to the bigger boats.

Advertisement