Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLM QUB Accommodation

Options
  • 25-05-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hiya, got accepted to do a llm in qub and just wondering where's the best place to stay if your a postgrad,? and when should I start looking? also any advice on the LLM in queens would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

misslegal wrote: »
    Hiya, got accepted to do a llm in qub and just wondering where's the best place to stay if your a postgrad,? and when should I start looking? also any advice on the LLM in queens would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!:D
    i dont know about the details of your course but I can tell you from personal experience that leaving it late for uni accomodation can leave you seeking other alternatives. For undergrad the deadline is very early, i.e. possibly about now.

The postgrads have their own accomodation and even a separate bar to drink in so you wont have to mix with the normal undergrads to any great extent if you choose not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

With regards to campus accommodation you have two main options - the zoned postgrad block(s) in Elms (modern apartment block style living) or the postgrad houses which are closer to campus but are much older redbrick houses that aren't quite as 'luxurious' as Elms would be. Mount Charles (postgrad houses) are much closer to campus and also to the eateries and nightlife of the Botanic area. Elms is closer to the Botanic Inn pub (which you'll either love or hate :D) but not a million miles away from campus either.

Elms fills up slowly so don't panic that you haven't made a choice yet, but I don't know about the availability in the postgrad houses. Generally from my own experience the international students tended to stay in Mount Charles and the home/ROI students tended to stay in Elms. Off-campus accommodation is plentiful and reasonably priced if you don't want to go down the uni housing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Off campus, cheap as chips. Stranmillis, Malone Rd., Ormeau Rd. etc... are all okay places to stay. Mount Charles is expensive and not worth the price, 4 hours of heating a day and noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 misslegal

Pow wow, are you in qub now? is elms noisey? I wanted to leave somewhere where i can go in and out to study in the library and than chillax and have the craic in the eve?

do you think off campus is better value for money so? are you still close to campus? or would you be better off to live on campus?

• Advertisement

No I graduated a year ago and lived off-campus the whole time I was at QUB. I had the horrors at the thought of going into Elms (halls were a nightmare where I did my undergrad with noise 24/7 etc.) but a couple of girls on my course who went in the zoned postgrad blocks in Elms never had an ounce of trouble with noise there. They did say though that the postgrad halls can be rather antisocial, something I never heard said about Mount Charles from the people I knew who lived there.

Edit: Elms will be super-quiet on weekends as all the local students go home, pretty much every weekend.

Some posts have been moved from the other thread to make this one easier to follow

There's also a sticky where you can introduce yourself if you're feeling sociable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

not sure if the OP is still reading this thread, but I've been accepted to an LLM in Queens starting in the Autumn as well. Leaning heavily towards Mount Charles at the moment :) Apart from a few short stints during the summer I haven't really lived away from home much, and I'm only in Queens for the first semester, so even though it's more expensive I'd rather stay in Queen's Accomodation.

I should probably add that I like the sound of Mount Charles because it offers the quiet living option!

cool there is another llm!! I am thinking at the minute i will stay off campus, I like the sound of getting better value for money and of living with other postgrads as opposed to undergrads!! thanks everyone for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

misslegal wrote: »
    cool there is another llm!! I am thinking at the minute i will stay off campus, I like the sound of getting better value for money and of living with other postgrads as opposed to undergrads!! thanks everyone for all your help :)
    maybe it wasnt clear, but postgrads are normally in separate accomodation than undergrads so the issue of noise from crazy enthusastic 1st years wont happen.
    Aside from Mount Charles theres another place nearby and also down the Malone Road on a cul de sac near the main Halls/ Church.

also, "on campus" is an invalid term for Queens accomodation seeing as Queens has no campus so to speak (in the UCG/ UL/ UCD etc meaning)
    The various faculties are spread throughout the district, as are the accomodation arrangements. And either way, theres no place where accomodation and teaching facilities are on the same plot of land, so rendering the term "on campus" even more wrong.*

The correct term would be "Halls" as in Halls of Residence. I've found that its a term that baffles manys a southerner without prior knowledge, but that's what they are called!!

* I did my final exam of my finals in the canteen of the main Halls there on the Malone road, which is as near as you get a mix of teaching and accomodation in Queens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement