Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half acre with self propelled lawnmower

Options
  • 25-05-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I really can't bring myself to spending 2.5k on a ride on so I am looking at a self propelled mower. I really am not comfortable with what model to buy, or where to look.

I live close to a Husqvarna dealer who has a 6hp unit which collects, blows out or mulches and it is €500. I have seen a few negative comments about Husqvarna online but I thought it was a very solid name.

Anyone any comments or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Sorry, I should add that it is pretty level ground and a reasonably well kept lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

:confused:
    can't say i ever heard any bad reports about the huskies, allways thought they were up there with the best of em

Thanks for the reply. Here is one thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65785872
    I think I had also seen another comment elsewhere. Basically the poster wasn't all that impressed with his mower also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Try the Toro range. I had one. Could do a 1/2 acre garden sub one hour. Very solid machines, but like everything else good, not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I cut a half acre with a Honda (HR 194) without self propelsion in 1 hr 15 minutes. I find the Honda excellent. Never a problem. Starts easily everytime.
    The huskies have a great reputation, although I never had one (never needed one as the Honda is with me from day one:p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I cut 3/4 acre on level ground with a husky and I mulch it and find it excellent.

I had a ride on before find this push mower gives much nicer fine cut and it's good exercise takes me over two hours but a tip to make it very enjoyable is to wear ear muffs and put on underneath ear buds and listen to the radio. Makes it thoroughly enjoyable exercise and fresh air for me. I have to laugh at the amount of people with little gardens and big ride on mowers lazy hits more money than sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I
    I have to laugh at the amount of people with little gardens and big ride on mowers lazy hits more money than sense.

I knew a child of the Celtic Tiger like that . He didn't have enough grass to turn his ride-on around without going on to the path :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

For years I cut a 3/4 acre lawn with a 19" Castle garden self propelled, no problem..
    The only issue is when perlonged bad weather prevents cutting the lawn for 2 weeks in the summer it becomes hard work to catch up again..

Great feedback. I was sort of thinking that I was on the ragged edge at half an acre but your comments suggest otherwise. I had been getting the lawn cut by the neighbours kids using their ride on. It was an ok arrangement as we got our lawn cut and they got pocket money but having borrowed a push mower, although it took me over three hours to cut the lawn, it is so much better a cut and it only took that long because the grass hadn't been cut for a while and I cut it very short this time.

My only decision now is whether to cheap out on a used €200 6hp mower (pro lawn I think) or go for a new Husqvarna for €500. I know which one will last longer but I don't mind nursing the cheaper one along once in a while.

Thanks again for all the great comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

iwb wrote: »
    My only decision now is whether to cheap out on a used €200 6hp mower (pro lawn I think) or go for a new Husqvarna for €500. I know which one will last longer but I don't mind nursing the cheaper one along once in a while.

Thanks again for all the great comments.

thats a bit of a no brainer for me, only reason i would go with the cheaper one is if the spondoolies were scarce.
    nursing things along just drives me queer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

buy cheap buy twice,especially with something thats going to be under pressure, buy a good make look after it and you'll still have it in ten to fifteen years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buy a goat!
    (assuming you've no other foliage in the garden you want to keep either).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I have a self propelled mountfield I bought in BandQ 5 years ago. I have an acre and it takes about 90 minutes. It also has a mulching feature so if the grass is not too long you don't need to use the bag. Not a bad machine and cost around 450euro I think.

Advertisement