Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is nice to live in Meath

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi

I'm looking at moving from Dublin 18 to Meath with my husband and baby but know absolutely nothing about Meath!

Could you please recommend where is nice and where we should avoid?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Are you looking to live in the country or in a town or village?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Ratoath is a nice town, within 10mins either way of the M2 and M3 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fi_J

Nowhere too remote haydar. Preferably near the N11. I don't want somewhere too built up but want somewhere with a community feel, schools, local shop and pub of course lol

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Dunboyne, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin are nice but fairly built up. They are near enough the n11 (via M50) though and seem to have good communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The N11? Thats Wexford -> Dublin right

N4, N3, N2 maybe?

Trim is a grand spot too in fairness.

Are you hoping for public transport for a commute or anything like that? The county isn't blessed with rail coverage so that may limit your options if its an issue for you, and should a commute take you back out the Dublin 18 direction then you will be very limited (again, if depending on public transport).

All towns mentioned are significant enough in size and not quite the village thing of one shop, one pub, and one school.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

If you're looking for proper countryside, Ard Cath, Clonalvy, Bellewstown area is lovely and close to M2 - M1.

Agree with most villages mentioned above, really like Ratoath and Trim myself. Suburbs of Navan are nice nough too + it means you could go out on the weekend in the town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Best thing to do is spend a day or two visiting each of the towns and getting a feel for them, they are all different in their own way, so you need to figure out which you prefer. Myself and my family had a good look in Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Navan and Trim when we were looking to move, and nowhere came close to Trim for what we were looking for tbh, but other people have different priorities. For example, if having high-street shops close by is a priority, Navan is the only town that'll offer you that - if being near Dublin is the top of your list, then probably Dunshaughlin, Ratoath or Ashbourne would be what you want. Dunboyne is really a Dublin suburb at this stage, has the advantage of being very easy to get to the city from (and a train link also), but might not have the countryside appeal of other places. For a good sized town with nice walks and views right on your doorstep, I think Trim is hard to beat. All depends on what you are after, and all of the towns have some lovely estates to live in.

Not sure what you consider as being "near" the N11, but I wouldn't consider anywhere in Meath near the N11. As said above, a commute to south Dublin/Wicklow from Meath will involve the any of the M1/M2/M3/M4 and then onto the M50, and realistically will take at least an hour at rush hour, so you need to allow for that and maybe try the commute some morning to make sure you are happy with it. From the likes of Trim, Navan, Dunshaughlin and Ratoath, you could use the M3 Parkway station, park the car there for the day and get the train into the city centre. The roads have improved greatly over the past few years which has made the commute much more bearable than before - the M50 upgrade works have greatly reduced most commutes to and from Meath.

Best of luck with your move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fi_J

Thanks a mil for all the replies. Sorry I didn't mean to write N11! I'm trying to decide between Wicklow and Meath and got confused! Lol

I really haven't a clue where to go to, its so hard moving to a brand new place with no connections. I think the suggestion of driving around for the day is a good idea and then asking about specific areas.

Thanks!

Advertisement