Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant's Causeway Coast Sportive - 17 September

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone

Just wanted to let you know about the Giant's Causeway Coast Sportive happening on the 17 September.

www.giantscausewaycoastsportive.com

Absolutely fab route around taking in some spectcular scenary. There are 3 routes (57km; 126km; 182km) all based on the North Coast of Ireland and Glens of Antrim - really stunning with some big climbs on the long and medium routes.

Also a pre event evening on Friday 16th September has been organised with Irish Pro Cyclist Philip Deignan (Team RadioShack) giving a talk.

Looks great for first year of the event!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That does look good, and tough.. Definitely has me interested. Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thinking of doing this in September. Anyone here do it last year? If so how was it?

It was very well organised, and the scenery and roads were a pleasure. Very very hilly, and with one tough mother of a climb up Torr Rd near the end. The weather was changeable enough on the day, but nothing controllable about that. Highly recommended. I'm heading back to it this year. Would hate to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I snooped around and found this clip...Mother of God! Torr head......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKom0Y-Ww3A

Lovely spot the Antrim coast. Myself and the good lady drove it 2 years ago and were blown away by the sheer beauty of it. How far is Ballycastle from Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Last Sept I drove Torr Head. The wind was blowing so strong we were pushed backwards when we got out of the car and when we got further along to the rope bridge it was almost closed because of the wind. While driving Torr Head there was a lone cyclist out doing the hills. I have no idea how he managed to stay on his bike let along move forward and up those hills:eek:

t'bear wrote: »
    I snooped around and found this clip...Mother of God! Torr head......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKom0Y-Ww3A

That's the one. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

BTW, for those doing the long route that Torr Head climb kicks in after you have already got 150km done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Hoping to do this too - looks like a very well organised event and the scenery looks lovely. Torr head looks challenging, especially after 150km :eek:

RT66 wrote: »
    BTW, for those doing the long route that Torr Head climb kicks in after you have already got 150km done :D

The sting in the tail nothing like a murderous climb close to the finish Prefer that to starting with a tough climb.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Lovely spot the Antrim coast. Myself and the good lady drove it 2 years ago and were blown away by the sheer beauty of it. How far is Ballycastle from Belfast?
    It's far enough from Belfast. Probably just over an hour in the car.

Advertisement