Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Cabra Pub

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Just heard the news about a shooting in the Cabra House, think the guy is not too bad, Has anyone heard anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Getting Deja Vu here, how many shootings have there been in the last 18 months? Was this pub involved before? ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Getting Deja Vu here, how many shootings have there been in the last 18 months? Was this pub involved before? ffs.

Only in it once a long time ago, It was the worst pub in the area and I think its still bad, It was always a good place for a row particularly if you were a strange face God knows what happens now.

I don't want to be judgemental but if you are drinking in there at 1.30pm you are most likely no angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

No that not the same pub as before Fassaugh House was 2shootings at first for the Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Should do a tour of these pubs some day, throw in the players lounge, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

No1J wrote: »
    I don't want to be judgemental but if you are drinking in there at 1.30pm you are most likely no angel.

FFS!!! "I don't want to be judgemental" what else would you call it???

Just because a person is in a bar/pub at lunchtime makes them some sort of deviant/criminal/undesirable (take your pick) in your eyes? Mother of God, the vast majority of pubs rely heavily on lunchtime trade in food to remain in business.
    I don't know anything about the individual or premises involved but it could just as easily have been an innocent bystander/customer who got shot but that's ok in your "non judgemental" eyes because they shouldn't have been in a bar at lunchtime?

Did you escape from After Hours?

TheAnswer wrote: »

Just because a person is in a bar/pub at lunchtime makes them some sort of deviant/criminal/undesirable (take your pick) in your eyes? Mother of God, the vast majority of pubs rely heavily on lunchtime trade in food to remain in business.
    I don't know anything about the individual or premises involved but it could just as easily have been an innocent bystander/customer who got shot but that's ok in your "non judgemental" eyes because they shouldn't have been in a bar at lunchtime?

I don't know which pubs you frequent but I would guess that the Lunchtime trade in this pub would be a bit different to what you are used to. You should pop in sometime and check out their lunch menu, or better still a bit later and check out the A la carte.
    I was only in it once, had 1 pint and 3 offers of a "go" at 3pm, maybe they were upset that the carvery had just finished. Only that I knew one of the "heads" drinking there, that they knew not to F with it could have been nasty.
    I hope that the guy is ok not knowing who he is but read between the lines even the locals steer clear,always 5 or 6 tracksuits standing in the porch looking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

TheAnswer wrote: »

Some pubs do rely on the lunch trade yes, but they generally have a good name to them and do a good lunch for a mostly professional crowd.

If you're in the Cabra House though at 1.30, that's a completely different matter. There's no good going on in there at any time of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Do they do a good hang sandwich?

Do they do a good hang sandwich?

Maybe a local could shine a light on how it's doing these days, but a good hang sandwich, i'd say a bit roapy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I dont think they do food ,first time i drank there i got a tip to stay by the fire exit so you could get out quick when the trouble started and it did

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

I live in the area and i would not go in to it if you went in for a pint make sure you don't take out a 20€ note or you will end up with a few new friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

There's some well kept gaffs and some decent skins in the area so it's not all bad, but i was going past the cabra house on the bike one sunday, looked over at it and thought 'now there's a hell on earth:eek:'

latenia wrote: »

Has anyone heard what happened, I believe he was from Blanchardstown but have not heard how he is or anything else. As robbie67 said maybe he flashed a big note and did not buy a few drinks. Guy on a bike comes into the pub with a shotgun and shoots him, bit mad imo.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I used to live about 10 minutes walk from there. I'd sooner take my chances in a UDA pub in East Belfast than in there. I've never been in it, but McGrath's down the road from it looks a wee bit less ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Has anyone heard what happened, I believe he was from Blanchardstown but have not heard how he is or anything else. As robbie67 said maybe he flashed a big note and did not buy a few drinks. Guy on a bike comes into the pub with a shotgun and shoots him, bit mad imo.:confused:

Lol I'm hearing he was shot with a pellet gun. Makes sense if he refused medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm from the area. VERY close to The Oasis (The Cabra House) in fact. I used to work here as a kid (I was a lounge boy, remember them?)

The pub has a bit of a bad rep yeah, but it's not as bas as some people here are saying in fairness!

But all these shootings are a reflection of the deteriorating state of Cabra as a whole. I mean, there was a time when i could tell people I was from Cabra and they'd nod and smile as if to say "Ah yeah, a decent spot".

Now people look at me like i'm about to mug them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm from the area. VERY close to The Oasis (The Cabra House) in fact. I used to work here as a kid (I was a lounge boy, remember them?)

The pub has a bit of a bad rep yeah, but it's not as bas as some people here are saying in fairness!

But all these shootings are a reflection of the deteriorating state of Cabra as a whole. I mean, there was a time when i could tell people I was from Cabra and they'd nod and smile as if to say "Ah yeah, a decent spot".

True enough. I'm from the area too. It was a decent spot but has really been affected by skangers.

• Advertisement

The man in the doorway seems to have 3 legs :eek:

That's the bouncer, he is the only one I know that can kick you in the nuts and the back of the head at the same time,Welcome to 6 toe county.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have to totally agree with this. My grandparents lived between the Navan Road and Blackhorse Avenue outside the gate in, what used to be, a nice area.
    I went to school up there even. I recently moved back in and noticed that there is a dodgy element through Cabra now and it doesn't feel "safe" anymore.
    Reports of break-ins and stolen cars all over the place at least once a week and I get the most crazy looks from the people hanging around outside there if I stop on my way home from work wearing a suit... like I wouldn't take out my iphone to text as it seems they're watching every move I make.

I'm seriously not the kind of person that is paranoid, but the dodgy element really is making me consider renting this house out and moving back into my apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

The man in the doorway seems to have 3 legs :eek:

Jez yeh saw that also.:D maybe its jake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_the_Peg

I am right there with you, and know that pub well, i am just around the corner. Cabra is a funny place , it had its problem's in the 70s and 80s but then get itself back on track. Only 4 years ago house prices in the area were huge. Its getting alot of bad press recently . I was a little annoyed about another murder in Mckee Park , they classed this place as Cabra too.

I still love Cabra though .

I have to totally agree with this. My grandparents lived between the Navan Road and Blackhorse Avenue outside the gate in, what used to be, a nice area.
    I went to school up there even. I recently moved back in and noticed that there is a dodgy element through Cabra now and it doesn't feel "safe" anymore.
    Reports of break-ins and stolen cars all over the place at least once a week and I get the most crazy looks from the people hanging around outside there if I stop on my way home from work wearing a suit... like I wouldn't take out my iphone to text as it seems they're watching every move I make.

I'm seriously not the kind of person that is paranoid, but the dodgy element really is making me consider renting this house out and moving back into my apartment!

Are you the Bagot road end if so its most likely coming from Ashington direction, If its the Nephin road end at the Cabra gate entrance most likely from Dunard. Only takes 1 or 2 bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Are you the Bagot road end if so its most likely coming from Ashington direction, If its the Nephin road end at the Cabra gate entrance most likely from Dunard. Only takes 1 or 2 bad ones.
    I'm right between :)

I'm right between :)

Used to be very quite there, the only draw there is the pedestrian short cuts to the service station and if they spot a patrol car they can run down the ally way. Its a nice area with the Park as your back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 HisGreatness

I thought I saw Ronan Keating heading in there the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Pity he wouldn't go in there because he probably wouldn't get out.

• Advertisement

That's who got me out of there safely, no one, and I mean no one messes with Ronan. "Words"

Advertisement