Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to find easy way of washing my jrt,s

• 25-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i wash my jrt,s once a month, as they are house pets, this keep the place from smelling of dog, i wash them in a bath, but my back be broke by the time i do the last wash from bending over the bath, are there aids going for this chore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A JRT we know gets his bath in the sink lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

goat2 wrote: »
    i wash my jrt,s once a month, as they are house pets, this keep the place from smelling of dog, i wash them in a bath, but my back be broke by the time i do the last wash from bending over the bath, are there aids going for this chore

If you live anywhere near a petmania some of them have a self service pet bath that you can pay to use. The baths are waist level so you are not bending down to them and they provide all the combs, shampoos, towels ets. It's cheap enough, I get my GSD done for about €15 mind you she doesn't get a bath once a month, only maybe twice a year and she is also an indoor dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

goat2 wrote: »

Kneel down beside the bath :rolleyes: Once a month is too often to wash a dog, it will take the natural oils out of their coat which could lead to skin problems down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

**Vai** wrote: »
    Kneel down beside the bath :rolleyes: Once a month is too often to wash a dog, it will take the natural oils out of their coat which could lead to skin problems down the line.
    i have heard that in the past, but my last beautiful jack russell died last september of old age, i washed her once a month also,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If using a good shampoo once a month is ok but only if they really need it no point in washing them if a quick brush though would do, you can get a dry shampoo for dogs that you brush in which might work for you so you might not have to wash them as often.

The idea of taking them to a place to wash them is good although it can work out expensive if doing it regularly.

I prefer to take mine to the groomers but have cut back now because we can't afford to go as often so I wash them myself and it breaks my back the larger dog goes to the groomers still and the medium one about twice a year I wash her myself then when she needs it. I find kneeling down helps but as you say once you get to the rinsing stage your back is in bits.

Have you anyone else in the house so that they can take over, once you've done the washy bit they could step in to rinse the dog.

If you don't have one already a shower head can help make the job a bit quicker you can get plastic ones you attach to the bath taps.

Other option, take the dog into the shower with you..yet ok bit mad but sitting down in the shower with the dog and giving it a wash might work.

If you have a shed or utility room you aren't using you could invest in a dog bath, there's the professional ones or you could just install a large sink or a makeshift tub where the sink is in the long run it would save your back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

tk123 wrote: »
    A JRT we know gets his bath in the sink lol :D

My cavvie gets his baths in the sink... ;)

If using a good shampoo once a month is ok but only if they really need it no point in washing them if a quick brush though would do, you can get a dry shampoo for dogs that you brush in which might work for you so you might not have to wash them as often.

The idea of taking them to a place to wash them is good although it can work out expensive if doing it regularly.

I prefer to take mine to the groomers but have cut back now because we can't afford to go as often so I wash them myself and it breaks my back the larger dog goes to the groomers still and the medium one about twice a year I wash her myself then when she needs it. I find kneeling down helps but as you say once you get to the rinsing stage your back is in bits.

Have you anyone else in the house so that they can take over, once you've done the washy bit they could step in to rinse the dog.

If you don't have one already a shower head can help make the job a bit quicker you can get plastic ones you attach to the bath taps.

Other option, take the dog into the shower with you..yet ok bit mad but sitting down in the shower with the dog and giving it a wash might work.

If you have a shed or utility room you aren't using you could invest in a dog bath, there's the professional ones or you could just install a large sink or a makeshift tub where the sink is in the long run it would save your back.

going to groomers with 3 is way over my head financially, i have all the proper things like brushes, microfibre towels, shampoos, and anyway 2 of them love having bath, one fight it all the way, i think the dog bath would be a good idea, does it have legs, i do have a big enough bathroom,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

its a 'mare washing my two (one is a jacker) i would end up soaked to the skin, my clothes completely wringing. so i decided one day to get in the shower with the dog. with just my undies. less washing all round. even my head used to be soaked from all her splashing

(shes small enough to hold under the shower)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

I wash my two jacks in the sink if they need a bath. They seem to prefer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A small baby bath, placed into your own bath, and then you sitting in the bath (the normal one!) while washing the dogs may be a good solution to the back issues - you would be sitting infront of the dog(s) instead of leaning over them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

I use a shower seat (that an elderly person might use) and that makes it so much easier. The dog stays on the chair and no more bending down.

so if i used the baby bath on top of the shower seat, that would be ideal, would the shower seat stand in the bath, or are the legs too far apart for it to sit right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

My dogs get in the shower with me! (to be fair it's large shower). Unlike a poster above, both of my spaniels have seen me naked, so i don't even keep my undies on :eek: :o

The only thing that upsets them is the slippy feel of the shower but a cheap plastic mat sorts that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

take them in the shower,make sure its not too hot,..a low warm heat will do,after a while they like the shower mostly,so long as you dont make a huge deal out of it,and praise them for sitting still during it then it will go fine, alternative is hook a hose to your kitchen tap and run it out the back and tether the dog there for a wash..

dry them well after

the chair idea is good, i am still washing bent over bath, i think that if i could get an old large sink, that i could have in the garage, a setup that would have warm water to wash them with, it would be the ideal solution, i must watch out for an old sink like those belfast sinks size

Advertisement