Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margarine and gaol

• 25-05-2011 4:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why are they seemingly alone amongst English words in having a soft G before a broad vowel?
    Are there any others?
    Some people reckon 'marjareen' is wrong and that it should be pronounced with a hard G but I've never heard the same said of 'gaol'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

A quick snippet from Wikipedia:

Generally, ‹g› is soft before ‹e›, ‹i›, and ‹y› in words of Romance origin, and hard otherwise; there are many English words of non-Romance origin where ‹g› is hard regardless of position (e.g. get), and three (gaol, margarine, algae) in which it is soft even before an ‹a›.

So it seems to be down to origin. Still, the fact that there's a pattern to when "g" is hard or soft is something I'd never noticed before, which might be useful, thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've been pronouncing algae with a hard G for a long time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

...so have I...

...But it seems that either is acceptable. I've come across two pronunciations; "al-jee" and "al-gai."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It must be a bugger for folks learning English. There's no consistency about the sound of the G, be it before a broad or slender vowel.

"the old git was having a gin and tonic" (hard and soft g's respectively)

"I will get a gesture of support from them" (again, hard and soft g sounds).

As noted above, ga can have a hard or soft g sound. I can't think of any go- or gu- sounds that have a soft g, but 3 out of 5 vowels have words with both types of sound. Words with the gy (y as a semivowel) all seem to have a hard g too.

In the context of computer graphics, a "gif" is a format of image (it's an acronym of Graphics Interchange Format, but it has been adopted into the technical lexicon as a word in its own right). I pronounce it gif (hard g) but any Americans I know say "jif". But then again, they talk about "erbal" tea so what do they know, eh? :))

Yakuza wrote: »

As noted above, ga can have a hard or soft g sound. I can't think of any go- or gu- sounds that have a soft g, but 3 out of 5 vowels have words with both types of sound. Words with the gy (y as a semivowel) all seem to have a hard g too.

Gyroscopes, gyrations... I read a version of Jabberwocky recently which gave Carroll's own notes on how to pronounce all the made-up words. Needless to say I'd been pronouncing the all wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Badger, badge, lodge, fudge, bridge - what is the d for?. Then there is large, forge, sponge. And fugue with a hard g amongst all those vowels!

looksee wrote: »
    Badger, badge, lodge, fudge, bridge - what is the d for?.

To shorten the vowel.
    Then there is large, forge, sponge. And fugue with a hard g amongst all those vowels!

Fugue has a broad vowel (u) after the 'g', like monologue, segue, harangued and Montague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭looksee

To shorten the vowel.

Fugue has a broad vowel (u) after the 'g', like monologue, segue, harangued and Montague.

Fair points, thanks :D I thought after I had posted that I was probably stating the obvious/missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Bernard Shaw's spelling for FISH = GHOTI.

Advertisement