Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for kongs

• 25-05-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I've the kong treats and put peanut butter in them as well. haven't tried freezing food yet but is there anything else i can put in as the peanut butter and the treats are gone in 10mins and the pups are bored again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Any tinned fish wrap in plastic and put in freezer. They love it and lasts ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wrap in plastic? I'd be worried about doing that in case of accidental ingestion.

Definitely freeze them. I fill mine with wet dog food, carrots, sausages, mashed bananas, anything you like really.

I bought one for my neighbour's dog while we were minding him and she's amazed by how much he loves it. Apparently he insists on taking it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kylith wrote: »
    Wrap in plastic? I'd be worried about doing that in case of accidental ingestion.

Definitely freeze them. I fill mine with wet dog food, carrots, sausages, mashed bananas, anything you like really.

I bought one for my neighbour's dog while we were minding him and she's amazed by how much he loves it. Apparently he insists on taking it everywhere.

Id say she means wrap it in plastic while in the freezer to stop all the juices running out.

I mash up some wet food along with a few of his biscuits and stick that in along with some dried tripe to make it really tasty. Mine doesn't like it frozen and doesn't like anything in that he actually has to put in some effort to get it out. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Ha ha I dont mean give the dog it wrapped in plastic...take the plastic off first but if you put some fish in kong and in freezer it can fall out....so just for ease use....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I mash up any veggies left from dinner(I don't use salt) and mix in some of their wet or dry food. My two love broccoli and carrots, green beans, turnip, peas, even a little mashed spud or rice, and they'd kill for some sweet potato. I freeze them overnight and take them out for few mins in the morning before giving them to dogs.
    I even use tinned fish, mine prefer mackerel and sardines to tuna, Lidl, Tesco, etc, do cheap tins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I fill Kongs with wet food every night and put them in the freezer. I give one to each dog in the morning so they dont even n otice me leaving.
    I really wonder how long they actually last. does anybody have an idea? would frozen food inside be gone in a matter of minutes or could it last hours? I cant imagine it lasting for hours with 2 greedy cocker spaniels lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Ha ha I dont mean give the dog it wrapped in plastic...take the plastic off first but if you put some fish in kong and in freezer it can fall out....so just for ease use....
    Ah, that makes more sense. My silly brain!
    falabo wrote: »
    I really wonder how long they actually last. does anybody have an idea? would frozen food inside be gone in a matter of minutes or could it last hours? I cant imagine it lasting for hours with 2 greedy cocker spaniels lol

Mine take an hour or so to empty them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

We just layer some kibble, peanut butter and pieces of ham or chicken and then put in freezer over night..even frozen they only last 10 mins max with our two.. they seem to really LOVE peanut butter..
    Will be trying out some of the recipes above.. someone should do a Kong cook book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks for all the suggestions i'll try them all. I'm going to try them with salmon tomorrow(only fish i have in) and i promise i'll take the plastic off first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I mix gravy granules with museli or wheatabix and hot water. I pack it while it's warm but don't give it to them for at least an hour until the wheatabix has absorbed all the water and gotten really hard.
    One of my collies would empty a kong in about 10 mins so I came up with this while visiting my non doggy in laws and it would keep her occupied for hours...... until she learned to fling it at the wall to knock the last bits out resulting in nice red rubber streaks up my in laws white walls :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fresh, raw beef mince and into the freezer. Takes him 45 mins to finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I usually stuff my cockers kong with pate or low fat philly cheese...

he loves it!! or the low low spreadable cheese with bacon bits :D

Beware of the pate... when he's sitting on the couch beside you hours later and "lets one go"... it can nearly knock you out :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

some great ideas, I need something to slow them down they go through the kongs in no lenght!

Must try some of the "recipes" here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My guy could empty a Kong in less than 10 minutes. He's also not remotely interested in peanut butter or anything else like it. He could get his wet dogfood out of it in less than 12 mins.

Freezing it was definitely the best solution. On a hot day he adores a frozen meat kong.

He gets similar enjoyment out of sliced cross sections of marrowbone - about three inches diameter, and about three to four inches long. There's no worry with teeth wear, because what he's working on is the marrow, not the bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Fresh, raw beef mince and into the freezer. Takes him 45 mins to finish it.

Sweeper can i cook the mince?

loving the suggestions thanks.

Advertisement