Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a Cheque

Options
  • 25-05-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right place, but I might as well start here. My landlady, despite numerous arguments, is giving me my deposit back tonight via cheque. I know this takes up on a week's worth of working days to clear in a bank, but someone told me if I go to her bank, they'll cash it where I stand. Is this true? Is there any other way I could get the cash immediately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you go to the issuing bank with i.d they'll cash it immediatley. (bring driver's license or passport.) Other than that some shop's will cash a cheque for you but they have to know you and very very few place's will do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    If you go to the issuing bank with i.d they'll cash it immediatley. (bring driver's license or passport.) Other than that some shop's will cash a cheque for you but they have to know you and very very few place's will do it anymore.

That's brilliant news - I need it to hand to my new landlord as an advance for my rent, so I couldn't afford to wait until it cleared in my own bank. I thought the cheque days were over >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

English banks have stopped issuing cheque books since the start of this year and Irish banks are meant to be following suit. I heard the start of july but not sure. I've noticed a lot of place's like dunnes and tesco's and other shop's have stopped taking cheque's of any discription.

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    English banks have stopped issuing cheque books since the start of this year and Irish banks are meant to be following suit. I heard the start of july but not sure. I've noticed a lot of place's like dunnes and tesco's and other shop's have stopped taking cheque's of any discription.

That's true, I didnt get a cheque book when I opened my Ulster Bank account in September. And Dunnes have signs up stating they stopped cashing cheques as and from the 1st of May just gone. They're a bit obselite anyway, considering they can bounce, go missing, or be filled out incorrectly.

You can only cash the cheque if she hasn't crossed it, if she has it will have to be lodged into your bank account.

• Advertisement

You can only cash the cheque if she hasn't crossed it, if she has it will have to be lodged into your bank account.

She has to check my room to make sure nothing is broken, I assume she won't have written the cheque before she comes down. I'll ask her not to cross it, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Some cheques are auto crossed at the point of printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cash it in the branch which her account is held, as long as its not crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

are all cheque books going to be made obsolete? I never realised this. What is going to be used in its place where credit cards aren't accepted? I don't want to have to go andget a bank draft every time I want to pay for something going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mmc2010 wrote: »
    are all cheque books going to be made obsolete? I never realised this. What is going to be used in its place where credit cards aren't accepted? I don't want to have to go andget a bank draft every time I want to pay for something going forward

Plastic [Laser, Debit Card, Credit Card, 3V prepay card]

Edit : Oh, and cash.

I will never accept a cheque off anyone. Too much hassle to cash. Can't remember the last time I was in a physical bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

RangeR wrote: »
    I will never accept a cheque off anyone. Too much hassle to cash. Can't remember the last time I was in a physical bank.

The landlady is prob issueing a cheque as its a receipt of payment. Its perfectly normal in business and while you can refuse a cheque the landlord might ask you to wait for a draft.

If you accept cash only you may have to do a receipt for the landlord.

Advertisement