Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time applying BTEA, need advice pls.

Options
  • 25-05-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello,

I am 30 this yr, on JSA, applying for a course at local college, so I guess Im on the right side here.

I went to Social Welfare and was informed that I am entitled to apply for BTEA, so I applied for a course and Im having an interview next week.

I just want to be clear on what will happen. What I was told at SW is, because currently my partner is claiming for both of us, once I get a confirmation letter stating that I get a place at college, I will make a new claim for myself and I will get 188 euro instead of 124.80 (what Im getting now as an adult dependent), then I will also get 500 euro annual allowance. Course is free.

I went to local college to see available courses, get application form, asked the receptionist again, is the course free if Im on JSA. She said, well if u r on JSA or if you have a medical card, yes it is free, but there is a 100 euro fee/ year, for some expenses like your photocopying etc.

Have I been given the right information so far? Because I am pleased with all that so far.

Also what kind of questions will occur during interview? Im both excited and nervous.

I put Childcare with Special Needs/ Classroom Assistant as my 1st choice, and Nursing Studies as my 2nd. I was so torn between the two. I wanted to go for the one that has more job opportunities obviously. I just thought if I go for Childcare, Id have more chance working in nurseries, daycare, or even school? God, I hope Ive made the right choice.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Yeah all the info you have for BETA you have so far is right. Once you start your course you'll get a letter in college to state your in full time education and you just bring that up to your local office and they will sort that out for you. The €500 does take a while to go through.. think it was the end of Oct by the time I got it if not later so just make sure to have some money to get things that you will need straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Yeah all the info you have for BETA you have so far is right. Once you start your course you'll get a letter in college to state your in full time education and you just bring that up to your local office and they will sort that out for you. The €500 does take a while to go through.. think it was the end of Oct by the time I got it if not later so just make sure to have some money to get things that you will need straight away.

thanks for replying. i will keep ur info in mind. thanks again

Advertisement