Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey - Dublin and Cork - July 2011

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jalopy

I really hope he doesn't play Meat Is Murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

jalopy wrote: »

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jalopy

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Why so?
    It would be pretty much near the bottom of my list of Smiths songs, definitely not one of the 3 or 4 I'd want to hear him play now. Plus it can be a bit of a buzzkill at live gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Agreed, one of the only Smiths songs I dislike. I can't believe he's going to play I Want The One I Can't Have. At least it looks like he will!

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Agreed, one of the only Smiths songs I dislike. I can't believe he's going to play I Want The One I Can't Have. At least it looks like he will!

Plus it looks like he'll play I Know Its Over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Is their a support act on before the man himself at the savoy, Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

calerbass wrote: »
    Is their a support act on before the man himself at the savoy, Cork?

Yeah, A pretty good English Indie band called Doll and the Kicks, They supported Morrissey all over on the Swords Tour.

Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Yeah, A pretty good English Indie band called Doll and the Kicks, They supported Morrissey all over on the Swords Tour.

Will they be supporting him when he plays Vicar Street aswell?

I know it's unlikely but I'd really really really love it if he played The Ordinary Boys!

Will they be supporting him when he plays Vicar Street aswell?

I know it's unlikely but I'd really really really love it if he played The Ordinary Boys!

No, As far as I know that's the last show for Doll and the Kicks before they head back into the studio,

The Heartbreaks are supporting for both Dublin shows,
    I must say I haven't gotten around to listening to them, yet,

The Ordinary Boys would be great alright, but unlikely as you said, That period of Morrissey's solo career has been criminally ignored for the last few years,

I'm a little unsettled that Life is a Pigsty has been dropped, always a highlight of his shows for me, As is How Soon is Now, but it was very clear to see he was extremely bored of playing that one the last time in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Morrissey was outstanding tonight at The Savoy. Absolutely brilliant - as always. Anyone going to the Dublin concert(s) is in for a treat.

'Alma Matters' was very powerful and just so moving but really every single song was fantastic and the band were, as usual, wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

I echo that. Morrissey was class and seemed to be in really good form and very relaxed throughout. The Savoy was a great place to see him and the band. Real up close and personal.
    Played 3 or 4 Smiths songs. I thought Meat is Murder was excellent. I know its over was another treat.

That new song Scandinavia was really really good and very poignant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

setanta74 wrote: »
    I echo that. Morrissey was class and seemed to be in really good form and very relaxed throughout. The Savoy was a great place to see him and the band. Real up close and personal.
    He played there with the Smiths in the mid-80s. The city and the venue has changed a lot since then, mind you.

My God, what a fantastic gig that was! I'm actually struggling to find words to describe how much I enjoyed that, the man is a living legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It was excellent at Glasto..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

He played there with the Smiths in the mid-80s. The city and the venue has changed a lot since then, mind you.

Yes, it was 1984. My brother caught a gladioli Morrissey threw into the crowd. He brought it home for me as I wasn't allowed to attend! I was 15 and obsessed with The Smiths. Last night was sad for me, thinking of my brother who's now deceased. Emotional but fantastic gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

Any idea what time Morrissey is due on stage in Vicar Street tonight? Really looking forward to it now!

van damme wrote: »
    Any idea what time Morrissey is due on stage in Vicar Street tonight? Really looking forward to it now!

He was onstage around 9:30 in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Absolutely fantastic show tonight. Kristen young or someone warmed up. Not bad, bud moz was 5 star. Meat is murder is probably the only bum note, IMO.

Long live Morrissey.

• Advertisement

Great show tonight from Morrissey and the Band! They once again came on at 9:30 to the pulsating drum solo of The Operation, After a quick "Baile Átha Cliath, Abandon all Hope" remark from Morrissey the band burst into the set opener, I Want the One I Can't Have, Which I must say sounded as fresh and hard hitting as ever and went down a treat with the full capacity audience, As not to give away much more for the people attending tomorrow, Let me just say Morrissey and the Band put on a fantastic show and were in fine form and the sound and intimacy of Vicar Street was absolutely perfect! A great varied set list incorporating Smiths classics along with a nice selection from throughout the years of Morrissey's solo career, As for the above comment, IMO, Meat is Murder was fantastic and it's strong sentiments were drilled home as poignant and as heartfelt as ever! My apologies for my earlier post, I had heard The Heartbreaks were supporting but on arrival to the venue was pleasantly surprised by Kristeen Young doing support duties, I wasn't overly impressed by the new songs but I must say hearing them live they really took off, especially People Are the Same Everywhere! Once again a thrilling gig and credit to Jesse Tobias who played an absolute blinder, His incredible talents still seem to be criminally unrecognized by the hard core Morrissey fans, To all going tomorrow, Enjoy Yourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Let me just say Morrissey and the Band put on a fantastic show and were in fine form and the sound and intimacy of Vicar Street was absolutely perfect!
    I was over to the left of the stage, the sound mix was brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shams0001

Is anyone selling tickets or does anyone know of someone selling tickets for tonights gig?

CiaranC wrote: »
    I was over to the left of the stage, the sound mix was brutal.

Oh Really, sorry to hear that, I was pretty central, maybe a little to the right of the stage and I thought the sound was good, I know Morrissey and the Band are really going for heavy over driven guitars in recent years to the dismay of many, I suppose his voice was a little cluttered by the music at times, but I guess that is the way he wants it, But overall I wouldn't call the mix brutal were I was, I thought it was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic show tonight. Kristen young or someone warmed up. Not bad

Without a doubt the worst aural assault I've ever had blasted at me, god.. so so terrible. Ross Geller has nothing on her. And what the hell was that weird remark about Egypt and vaginas being allowed in the building? Terrible.

Morrissey & co were brilliant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

nm wrote: »
    Without a doubt the worst aural assault I've ever had blasted at me, god.. so so terrible. Ross Geller has nothing on her. And what the hell was that weird remark about Egypt and vaginas being allowed in the building? Terrible.

Morrissey & co were brilliant though.

Christ yes! Couldn't put my finger on who she reminded me of but yeah - very Ross Geller.

Great gig from Morrissey tonight - only complaint would be that I wished he'd play for longer - he's got such a great back catalog that a 2 hour show would be great. Band are crackin' and i thought the sound was really good.

His voice, unlike most artists, seems to be improving with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i thought it was a great show last night
    morrissey was in fine form
    and i thought his voice sounded great
    positioned myself at the mixing desk
    and the sound from where i was was perfect
    everyday is like sunday was brilliant
    meat is murder i really enjoyed, first heard it live on the smiths tour from way back when
    also brought memories from listening to john peel playing tracks from the album before it was released...ah good good memories

Another fantastic night from Moz and the Band last night, Dare I say ever better than the first night, I took an interest in sound quality tonight and I must say I thought it was great again, perhaps it was where you were standing CiaranC, Awful unfortunate, I can't stand bad sound quality at concerts! 3 changes to the set list last night, Alma Matters, Satalite Of Love and Black Cloud made way for One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, The Kids A Looker and a major surprise of the night, Come Back To Camden!

Morrissey seemed in good form and was fairly talkative between tunes, He opened by singing the first lines of tradition Irish song Carrickfergus, "I wish, I was, in Carrickfergus, BUT I'M NOT!!!!" Which got the crowd laughing and set a good mood for the gig, They again opened with I Want The One I Cant Have, Which sounded incredible, The set list was the same apart from the 3 changes mentioned above, But the running order was changed for the better, and kept a more upbeat feeling, Morrissey referring to the red glittery sequence shirt he was wearing said "In Dublin, In the Liberties, You Can Get Stabbed for Wearing the Wrong Kind of Shirt.............I'll Take My Chances", which once again cracked up the full house in attendance,

There were two attempts from fans to make it onstage, Which were quickly stopped by the usual Moz thug security, Who darted out and made sure to inflict as much pain and disappointment as possible, I must say I don't understand this mentality, 9 out of 10 people in recent years, who make it onto the stage just hug Morrissey and walk off, Whats the need for such violent security?!?, All in All a fantastic night! before playing the final song of the night, Irish Blood, English Heart, Moz said "We Know There Was an After Show Party Planed but Instead We Opted for Leo Burdock's, Which We Found out Cook their Chips in Animal Fat....., WHICH IS DISGUSTING!!!....SO FECK THEM!!! They blasted into a great Irish Blood, English Heart and Morrissey at the Band thanked and shook as many hands as they could, Moz even got a record off of a fan in the front row, A truly fantastic night, Hopefully Morrissey comes back soon!!!!

"All the way from Finglas.....Mr Boz Boorer" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

As mentioned above, was hoping he'd play for longer.
    "I know it's over" was probably the best part of the night for me- really got the crowd going. :D

Advertisement