Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Stuff

Options
  • 25-05-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Some years ago back in the 1980's there was a thing proposed by British space engineers called HOTOL. A space plane that although different and possibly more advanced than the shuttle was thought of in hushed circles as a viable rival to the American craft. It was an idea that was shelved for a variety of reasons. However the Americans thought it a good idea and gave it a good looking at for the technology of it's engines alone. Nothing really happened after that.

However I found this link dating back to 2009. Probably all pie in the sky but I enjoyed the memories.

http://gizmodo.com/5164573/hotol-the-reusable-spaceship-coming-back-from-the-80s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Supermug

If you were asked in a quizz How many space shuttles has there been. Which would be the correct answer 5,6 or 7 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Supermug wrote: »
    If you were asked in a quizz How many space shuttles has there been. Which would be the correct answer 5,6 or 7 ???

The ones I can remember are:

Atlantis, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Enterprise. But there may be one that escapes me.

There was also the original one on the back of a Jumbo that didn't fly into space.

Edit: I forgot Endeavor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Rubecula wrote: »
    The ones I can remember are:

Atlantis, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Enterprise. But there may be one that escapes me.

There was also the original one on the back of a Jumbo that didn't fly into space.

Edit: I forgot Endeavor

In total 6 Space Shuttle orbiters were launched into space. 5 American and 1 Soviet, but thats not the whole story...............:pac:

Shuttles that flew in Space.
    Columbia
    Challenger
    Discovery
    Atlantis
    Endeavour
    Buran {USSR}

Shuttles that flew only in Earths atmosphere as test vehicle
    Enterprise {Flew off back of 747}

Shuttle Replicas
    Explorer at KSC
    America at Gurnee, Illinois.
    One outside the Astronaut Hall of Fame, Florida

and a number of mid-deck and flight deck mockups at different NASA centers.

So the answer is not straight forward:confused::confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks Beeker. I bow to the expert on this one.

Oh and don't forget the British atempt at a space shuttle too.... the Reliant Robin from Top Gear........ On second thoughts maybe you better had forget that one...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Beeker wrote: »
    In total 6 Space Shuttle orbiters were launched into space. 5 American and 1 Soviet, but thats not the whole story...............:pac:

Shuttles that flew in Space.
    Columbia
    Challenger
    Discovery
    Atlantis
    Endeavour
    Buran {USSR}

Shuttles that flew only in Earths atmosphere as test vehicle
    Enterprise {Flew off back of 747}

Shuttle Replicas
    Explorer at KSC
    America at Gurnee, Illinois.
    One outside the Astronaut Hall of Fame, Florida

and a number of mid-deck and flight deck mockups at different NASA centers.

So the answer is not straight forward:confused::confused::)

You might as well throw in Ptichka which is being stored in a hangar at Baiknour and is 97% complete.

Have to wonder. Do NPO still have the facilities in place to build a new Energia rocket ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Thanks Beeker. I bow to the expert on this one.
    Far from an expert just a complete nerd when it comes to the Shuttle:D
    Oh and don't forget the British atempt at a space shuttle too.... the Reliant Robin from Top Gear........ On second thoughts maybe you better had forget that one...:pac:
    And indeed how could I forget the Top Gear one:eek: That was fantastic, what a laugh:D

Advertisement