Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blending prawns, ketchup and mayonnaise...

Options
  • 25-05-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have a faint memory of watching some TV show where the lady threw some prawns, ketchup and mayonnaise into a blender and mixed it all together to make a nice looking sauce... has anybody tried this before? Is there a name for this? Or was I dreaming... sounds lovely though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ketchup and mayo mixed makes a basic Marie Rose sauce which is often used in prawn cocktails. Yummy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

xoxyx wrote: »
    Ketchup and mayo mixed makes a basic Marie Rose sauce which is often used in prawn cocktails. Yummy!!!
    There's often a splash of, I think, vodka or gin to give it a kick.

Really? I didn't know that. I knew there was more to it, but was thinking more along the lines of lemon and paprika!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    There's often a splash of, I think, vodka or gin to give it a kick.

Brandy or sherry, I think.
    A bit of lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Tabasco also help - and some black pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Brandy or sherry, I think.
    A bit of lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Tabasco also help - and some black pepper.
    I think we can agree that as long as there's some sort of booze in there somewhere it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭HappyTuesday

What are you guys talking about?

Anyways, my original question, have you heard of anyone blending the three ingredients together to make a kind of paste/sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PedoPriest wrote: »
    What are you guys talking about?
    Marie Rose sauce, the pink gunk that prawn cocktails are made with. I guess they, like me, assumed that was what you had heard of.

It's been seven hours since I posted this thread and I still haven't gotten even a simple yes or no... there's a conversation here about lemon juice and tabasco for some reason.

Let me try one more time.

Has anyone ever blended prawns, ketchup and mayonnaise into a sauce/paste?

Blending as in putting the ingredients into a blender, pressing the "On" switch, then blending the ingredients.

prawns-icon.jpg+ heinz-ketchup.jpg+ BenedictaMayonnaiseFlacon20.jpg

arrow-down.gif

blender.jpg

= ????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Raw or cooked?
    You never said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My God, what you will get if you blend those 3 ingredients is a baby/pensioners version of a cheapy tasteless prawn cocktail, so No I have not tried it and Yes there is a name for it, Ruined Prawn Cocktail.

What the other posters have been describing with their alcohol and tabasco additions is proper Marie Rose sauce, which is the name for the pink sauce that is served with prawns in a prawn cocktail, for which mayo and ketchup are the two base ingredients.

Is that a comprehensive enough answer to avoid any more BIG FONT pictorial breakdowns of your question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I've never done it

Sharrow wrote: »
    Raw or cooked?
    You never said.

Cooked.
    My God, what you will get if you blend those 3 ingredients is a baby/pensioners version of a cheapy tasteless prawn cocktail, so No I have not tried it and Yes there is a name for it, Ruined Prawn Cocktail.

Jaaayyyysus. I just think it would make a nice sandwich filler. I'm not trying to make a gourmet meal out of it.

I'll try it anyways and report back.

OK BYE NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Jaaayyyysus. I just think it would make a nice sandwich filler. I'm not trying to make a gourmet meal out of it.

Would you not just put the prawns in a sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Actually, I do remember seeing this.

It was on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and it was in a restaurant owned by an English bloke in a Spanish holiday resort town.

On his menu he had this blended pawn muck along with a chicken breast stuffed with banana. He also served up a packet of jelly tots for dessert at a party as some some of stark, austere, post-modern statement.

Ramsey took a very dim view of him for this and actually made up a glass of liquidized prawns for the owner to taste. Even he thought it was disgusting.

Give it a go if you must!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

thread-delivers.jpg

YORE ANSWERS R TO COMPREHNZIVES!!

DeV.

BenedictaMayonnaiseFlacon20.jpg

And I had you down as a Hellmann's guy all this time! Hey - just goes to show what I know!!

Enjoy your paste!! :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is also good, so Jon Stewart says (and he's a celebrity chief!)

41GRTGPvrBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DeV.

Bacon - it makes everything better.

BaconCoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OH oh oh oh oh oh !!!

I've done it!!

I've blended those three ingredients together!!

There's a name for it!!!!!

...slop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Marie Rose wept.

Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement