Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Call of Dutys on Xbox

• 25-05-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I just bought an xbox a few weeks ago and all I have is Fifa 11. I don't really want Black Ops as I had it on PS3 and it's a little slow paced for me. Just wondering is it worth my while to get Modern Warfare 2 or Call of duty 4 on xbox, I've heard every lobby is hacked and is just a waste of time. Should I get Halo Reach if thats true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I just bought an xbox a few weeks ago and all I have is Fifa 11. I don't really want Black Ops as I had it on PS3 and it's a little slow paced for me. Just wondering is it worth my while to get Modern Warfare 2 or Call of duty 4 on xbox, I've heard every lobby is hacked and is just a waste of time. Should I get Halo Reach if thats true?

They've only just rolled out an update for MW2, seems to have cleaned things up in a big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

I got Black ops last Saturday. Can't believe how terrible it plays.

The sound effects are the worse ever. Helicopters above are hard to hear and when they start shooting, it sounds like farm machinery at work.
    That napalm strike is stupid and the sound of it sounds like it's from the NES.

Care packages are unrewarding.

The maps are too big and bland.

The guns sound like plastic toy guns and they're all bland. The red dot sight is the exact same on every gun which is hard to see through.

The contracts feature is pointless.

Oh, the recoil on the guns makes it really un-enjoyable to play. Long distance shots now seem impossible and gives me a loss of confidence in playing.

The graphics aren't great.... Nuketown feels like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Only thing I liked about it all is the remote control car. That's all.

I love playing MW2, it's well-balanced and addictive all be it with the kids and quick-scoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks lads, yeah think I might pick up Mw2 so. Might rent LA Noire and Portal 2. Is Halo Reach worth a buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Halo Reach, try the demo they just put out to see if you like how Halo games play.

Just wondering is it worth my while to get Modern Warfare 2 or Call of duty 4 on xbox, I've heard every lobby is hacked and is just a waste of time. Should I get Halo Reach if thats true?

I would go for reach first, as you won't have had any halo experience if you're coming from PS3, and then after that try MW2. Black ops is terrible, steer well clear of it.

Modern warfare 1 and 2 and also World at War are all very good single player games, well worth a look, especially now as they're cheap. I personally can't stand COD online modes though, too many campers and too unbalanced with perks and loadouts and stuff. You have to practically live on those games 24/7 to stay competitive, and that's just not realistic for me.

Halo reach has a great single player, and is excellent in online multiplayer too, well supported, stable (for the most part) has a very large range of game modes for all levels of player, and still has a very active community, as does Halo 3 for the most part. You could get lost in those 2 games for years if you wanted to. Halo 2 for the original Xbox (back compatible on 360) is also worth a play if you dont mind the OG graphics, but don't pay more than 10-15 quid for it-The story mode is good, but the online multiplayer has been deactivated for a good while now.

Halo ODST is okay, but kind of a departure from the rest of the halo series, short and patchy story mode, great in parts but crap in others, but if you buy it you get all the Halo 3 multiplayer action on a separate disc, as well as all the map expansions they released, and besides that it has a good firefight mode for playing co-operatively online (but with your friends only, no matchmaking like firefight has in Halo Reach).

Other good shooters on the 360 are gears of war 1 and in particular 2 (number 2 has the most satisfying sniper headshots in any FPS, ever). Battlefield BC2, and a few others are also worth a look.

Rent some of these out and try them, most shooters on 360 offer decent replay value, you'll be on them for a while, so it'd be worth figuring out whether they suit you or not.

Overall recommendations though, in order of best quality and replay value, would be Halo reach, Modern warfare 2, and maybe Halo 3 or Gears of War 2 as outsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got Black ops last Saturday. Can't believe how terrible it plays.

The sound effects are the worse ever. Helicopters above are hard to hear and when they start shooting, it sounds like farm machinery at work.
    That napalm strike is stupid and the sound of it sounds like it's from the NES.

Care packages are unrewarding.

The maps are too big and bland.

The guns sound like plastic toy guns and they're all bland. The red dot sight is the exact same on every gun which is hard to see through.

The contracts feature is pointless.

Oh, the recoil on the guns makes it really un-enjoyable to play. Long distance shots now seem impossible and gives me a loss of confidence in playing.

The graphics aren't great.... Nuketown feels like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Only thing I liked about it all is the remote control car. That's all.

I love playing MW2, it's well-balanced and addictive all be it with the kids and quick-scoping.

I agree with the sound (which was to stop sound whoring) and the graphics. But care packages can be very rewarding, especially if you have hardline pro.
    The contract's feature is excellent, can help you diversify your play styles if you choose to do them. If not, there are no negatives for not doing them.

The red dot is not the same on every gun, any gun that in real life, likely used a unique site, has it in the game. And you can customize them of course.

For the recoil, most people would admit there isn't enough recoil on most guns. You should not be able to fire off several rounds into a small target at distance without re-sighting.

In summary, you only played for 5 minutes and probably had decided you hated it before you turned it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

get battlefield 2 , you will not be disappointed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Sarge wrote: »
    get battlefield 2 , you will not be disappointed !

You mean Bad Company 2? Battlefield 2 was PC only, I believe. If so, I agree, it's a awesome game but I doubt ther OP will like it if he thought the pace of BlOps was too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

mcgovern wrote: »
    I agree with the sound (which was to stop sound whoring) and the graphics. But care packages can be very rewarding, especially if you have hardline pro.
    The contract's feature is excellent, can help you diversify your play styles if you choose to do them. If not, there are no negatives for not doing them.

The red dot is not the same on every gun, any gun that in real life, likely used a unique site, has it in the game. And you can customize them of course.

For the recoil, most people would admit there isn't enough recoil on most guns. You should not be able to fire off several rounds into a small target at distance without re-sighting.

In summary, you only played for 5 minutes and probably had decided you hated it before you turned it on.

well, I keep playing it to try to get into it all. Just not happening. I can never hear my enemies approaching. My own footsteps sound clunky and out of sync. Movement just doesn't seem quick. I can't get use to the maps cos they're random buildings all over the place leading into an abyss.
    It's just a mess... but for some reason I still play it to give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks for all the replies people. Downloading Halo Reach demo now.
    You mean Bad Company 2? Battlefield 2 was PC only, I believe. If so, I agree, it's a awesome game but I doubt ther OP will like it if he thought the pace of BlOps was too slow.
    I had it on release date on PS3 and was addicted for a month straight. After that I just got sick of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement