Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak under bath

• 25-05-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Ive a leak under the bath ( I think ) which is causing stains on my kitchen ceiling, im guessing its the waste pipe as it seems to happen only when the bath was used. I have taken the side panel off the bath to have a look but the floor boards go the wrong way to take them up for a look. Dont want to cut through the boards in case there is electrical wires underneath.
    Should I cut the ceiling and look up ?
    Will the ceiling need to be repaired after a leak as paint is not covering the stain ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peter Sweeney

It the ceiling is badly wetted (dry-lining), it will swell and may need to be replaced. Your insurance would normally covered accidental water leaks, however check your excess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

its highly unlikely there is electrical cables under the bath however if you took it easy you would be fine. I would tackle it from under the bath as it will be cheaper and will not require a plasterer.

I am guessing one of 2 things has happened.

Either

1. A screw has been put through the waste pipe and it has rusted away and is now leaking

2. The waste pipe has come undone from the bath trap.

Both are easy to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Do you use the bath as a shower also? IE is there a shower hose in there.

Reason been, its possible you have a poor seal around the bath instead of the waste pipe leaking.

Easy way to test this is to fill a few buckets of water and let them down the drain, if this causes a leak you have a definate answer, if it doesnt its likely you have a problem around the seal of the bath or a cracked tile if you shower in the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i think snyper could be right on this one. well its worth a go at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It the ceiling is badly wetted (dry-lining), it will swell and may need to be replaced. Your insurance would normally covered accidental water leaks, however check your excess
    There is no swell, the stain runs along about two feet long, its near the wall and the water has been running down the wall but its not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

snyper wrote: »
    Do you use the bath as a shower also? IE is there a shower hose in there.

Reason been, its possible you have a poor seal around the bath instead of the waste pipe leaking.

Easy way to test this is to fill a few buckets of water and let them down the drain, if this causes a leak you have a definate answer, if it doesnt its likely you have a problem around the seal of the bath or a cracked tile if you shower in the bath.
    Yes there is a shower head, ill try the buckets of water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Once you have the leak sorted you will need to paint over the stains with BIN primer.ordinary paint wont cover the water stains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

1. A screw has been put through the waste pipe and it has rusted away and is now leaking

2. The waste pipe has come undone from the bath trap.

Both are easy to fix.

I think he would be able to see if the pipe has come undone from the trap , he took the bath panel off .

More than likely the bath/ tile seal gone if used as a shower also , spray water around the edge of bath and look under bath with panel off

Advertisement