Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L5 Remote

• 25-05-2011 6:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.l5remote.ie/

Has anyone any experience using one of these dongles?
    (Particularly on UPC...)

Looks real purty but would prefer to see some responses from Irish users about how effective it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

OK, firstly I will declare my obvious interest (see my sig) in this product! As you have had no replies from actual users of the product, I would just like to offer my assistance in any questions you have on the product form a technical perspective and a product user on a daily basis on iPhone and iPad.
    You mentioned UPC in particular so I'll just state that yes it will work UPC and the codes are available in the L5 cloud so you just download the UPC layout and do not need to learn all the buttons from scratch. Any more questions anybody has just shout!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Homer wrote: »
    OK, firstly I will declare my obvious interest (see my sig) in this product! As you have had no replies from actual users of the product, I would just like to offer my assistance in any questions you have on the product form a technical perspective and a product user on a daily basis on iPhone and iPad.
    You mentioned UPC in particular so I'll just state that yes it will work UPC and the codes are available in the L5 cloud so you just download the UPC layout and do not need to learn all the buttons from scratch. Any more questions anybody has just shout!
    Thanks Homer - I did see you in the developers thread. :)

Still procrastinating at the moment but if/when I've any questions I'll drop back here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Kinda expensive for something that I would most likely lose ( I manage to lose thrbig remote, phone, etc ).

Is there an App to find it when I lose it?

Seriously, even if it would beep, flash, whatever.

Kinda expensive for something that I would most likely lose ( I manage to lose thrbig remote, phone, etc ).

Is there an App to find it when I lose it?

Seriously, even if it would beep, flash, whatever.

€39.99 is hardly expensive for the functionality it offers! Yes the fact that the dongle is quite small is an advantage when connected to the iphone/ipod/ipad etc and for sheer portability (you could bring it down the pub with you and decide what YOU want to watch :p) but it can be a disadvantage when not connected to the device as you could misplace it!
    There is no way of locating the device when it is not connected to the phone unfortunately! Just leave it on/beside your TV when not using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Personally I would rather keep with the current remote, given the time it would take to get my phone/ipad, connect the device, open the app, then change the channel. In a much shorter timescale I could get the normal remote and have the channel changed etc... oh and have an extra 40 quid in my pocket. To me it would be a novelty for novelties sake

Just my 2 cents

• Advertisement

Gileadi wrote: »
    Personally I would rather keep with the current remote, given the time it would take to get my phone/ipad, connect the device, open the app, then change the channel. In a much shorter timescale I could get the normal remote and have the channel changed etc... oh and have an extra 40 quid in my pocket. To me it would be a novelty for novelties sake

Just my 2 cents

When you say the "current remote", I presume you mean your sky/upc remote? If that's the case then it is limited to controlling the TV and Sky or UPC only. The L5 can control multiple devices by simply swiping left or right to the relavant device. So you could have every device in the house on it... DVD, Amplifier, Apple TV, Lights, Etc. Also it will do macros, a single button that emits multiple commands.
    So, if you have Sky and you want to watch ITV/UTV you don't have to go through the tedious process of Services>other channels>navigate to ITV and select. One button brings you directly to the station of your choice.
    Just Don't think you are comparing like with like comparing L5 with standard sky or upc remote..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Homer wrote: »
    When you say the "current remote", I presume you mean your sky/upc remote? If that's the case then it is limited to controlling the TV and Sky or UPC only. The L5 can control multiple devices by simply swiping left or right to the relavant device. So you could have every device in the house on it... DVD, Amplifier, Apple TV, Lights, Etc. Also it will do macros, a single button that emits multiple commands.
    So, if you have Sky and you want to watch ITV/UTV you don't have to go through the tedious process of Services>other channels>navigate to ITV and select. One button brings you directly to the station of your choice.
    Just Don't think you are comparing like with like comparing L5 with standard sky or upc remote..

You've convinced me, how bout a Boardsie discount....:D:rolleyes::p....:cool:

I'd be happy to offer boards users a special discount. Anyone that's interested just drop me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just a note to say ive picked one of these up and its a great gadget esp for €40, i have all my devices on 2 remotes in the app, i just leave the dongle on the coffee table for when i need it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thayes

Hi Anyone use one of these?
    Homer are you still selling them?
    Can you download pre configured remotes?
    Are you dublin based?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

personally I would avoid.

The iPhone doesn't have proper tactile feedback to work as a remote, it may be grand in a pinch i.e. XBMC, or iTunes remote, but to use on a TV is just pointless.

Can you imagine every time you want to change the channel, you firstly must have this dongle attached, then slide to unlock, navigate to the app, open it up, the press it. Compare this process to picking up a remote and pressing a button which you can do without even looking at the remote.

Don't get me wrong, I have used the iPhone as a remote in my home set up for XBMC, but when I bought a proper remote I never look back. I would only use the iPhone if I can't find the other remote and the ONLY reason that works for me is that I don't have to find some dongle attachment.

I would imagine you might use this product for a few days, then get board of it, so total waste of money.

A friend of mine has a similar device. He keeps an iPad on his coffee table with the multi remote to control everything, and he still reverts back to the original controller even though the iPad is right in front of him.

Advertisement