Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Wilson - 7th Sept - Grand Canal

Options
  • 25-05-2011 6:22pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Beach Boy has announced that he's retiring from touring.

Brian Wilson has said that his September 7 visit to Dublin’s Grand Canal Theatre will be the final time he performs in Ireland.

After completing his upcoming European tour, he’ll play some American dates – possibly with the Beach Boys to mark their 50th anniversary – and then retire from touring.

In a new interview with London’s Evening Standard, the 68-year-old talked about his on-going battle with aural hallucinations.

“What the voices say is still pretty much the same, negative things, 'You're going to die', or, 'You better watch out', life-threatening kinds of things,” he reveals. “Performing helps, but I'll still have the voices there when I'm on stage. They're always with me.”

We'll have ticket details for you soon on hotpress.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

He's performing the Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin album in its entirety, as well as solo and Beach Boys material. Tickets go on sale on Thursday 2nd June at 9am, from €61.80.
    That Gershwin album split the critics. Personally, I really liked it, but some people thought it was ill-advised and didn't like his "Wilsonised" versions of Gershwin standards.
    Wilson diehards will lap this up, but I'm not sure if fairweather fans will appreciate it. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting beside restless Greatest Hits people, who are only there for the Beach Boys classics.
    The Cork Marquee show was the best time I saw him and the band. Killer.
    "How loud can you yell?!?!" :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I seen him in Sydney back in 2002/2003 and it was one of the best sounding concerts I have ever been to in my life, if not the best.

I can't disagree with anything this reviewer said as it pretty much summed up everything I was thinking myself:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/13/1039656217990.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Apparently The Beach Boys are down for NCH July 9th and 10th, but I can't find much info anywhere (not on ticketmaster) - anyone know what the story is with that?

The NCH sell their own tickets, very rarely (if ever) through Ticketmaster.
    Both dates are listed here:

https://www.nch.ie/online/seriesCalendar.asp?doWork::WSseriesContent::search=1&BOset::WSseriesContent::SearchCriteria::search_criteria=popular

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Judging from his recent setlists http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2011/ridgefield-playhouse-ridgefield-ct-1bd325b4.html it looks like hes gonna play everything:):) 41 songs & 4 encores ????

• Advertisement

The Gershwin set isn't an encore, it's the second half of the show, and a lot of those songs are done as part of medleys, which makes the 41 song total look more insane than it actually is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theniall

Just bought tickets coming from Cork. What a legend this man is

Bandy tickets way back in row W in the Stalls, other sections weren't much better

How's the Grand Canal, every seat good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beachboy90

The Grand Canal is beautiful can't wait for this, not a bad seat in the house..

Hope it's a beautiful September night :D

Advertisement