Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional licence question!!

• 25-05-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Well i had a provisional licence at 16 (2006) im looking at getting a 125 bike for work and rang the motor tax office about my licence as i now hold a full car licence. The woman told me i just have to fill out a provisional form to receive my second a1 provisional licence. Just wondering where this leaves me with the new IBT and can i go straight out and ride as soon as i get my licence??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

zetecmad wrote: »
    Well i had a provisional licence at 16 (2006) im looking at getting a 125 bike for work and rang the motor tax office about my licence as i now hold a full car licence. The woman told me i just have to fill out a provisional form to receive my second a1 provisional licence. Just wondering where this leaves me with the new IBT and can i go straight out and ride as soon as i get my licence??
    You can ride anything up to 125cc without doing the IBT as your A1 covers this and it will not be a first time permit. If you want a bigger bike you'll need to get an A permit and do the conversion modules of the IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have a read back. The 'I once had a license' question seems to be a common one. The only problem is that if you're going to the hassle of getting licenses and all that crapola, you may as well get the A learner's permit. The A1 license is effectively, the yungfella's license.

The IBT is no load to carry. It will save your ass. You can be killed off a 125 just as quickly as being killed off litre-bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zetecmad

so i can just go striaght out and ride then i wont have too do any modules??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zetecmad

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have a read back. The 'I once had a license' question seems to be a common one. The only problem is that if you're going to the hassle of getting licenses and all that crapola, you may as well get the A learner's permit. The A1 license is effectively, the yungfella's license.

The IBT is no load to carry. It will save your ass. You can be killed off a 125 just as quickly as being killed off litre-bike.
    if i get the A licence can i drive 125?? and will i not have to do modules before i go out on the bike if i get A licence??

An A licence will cover you for any bike. You'll be restricted to 33hp until two years after getting a full licence.

As I already said you'll need the conversion module if you go for an A licence though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

Im 17 and im soon buying a 50 cc scooter and sitting my motorbike <125 cc and scooter provisional. IS there lessons before I can ride the bike or can I ride it straight away.

Im 17 and im soon buying a 50 cc scooter and sitting my motorbike <125 cc and scooter provisional. IS there lessons before I can ride the bike or can I ride it straight away.
    You'll need to get an A1 permit and do IBT before you can go on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zetec, your original permit has expired that's why you have been asked to apply for your 2nd one. You don't need to sit any tests or IBT as you have had the permit already.

Yes you can go out straight away once the bike is <= 125 and you have insurance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

I have had a full Irish car driving licence for years, since before the current theory test regulations came in.

I want to change to bikes & I need to get my licence.
    I have no problem doing the biking theory test if I need to, but I'm just wondering, does the provisional licence I had previously (not for A, A1 or M class), cover me to apply for the learner permit for those classes without doing the theory test?

I'm assuming I will need to do the theory test, but if I dont, it's not exactly advertised with big green, white & gold bunting out there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

I have had a full Irish car driving licence for years, since before the current theory test regulations came in.

I want to change to bikes & I need to get my licence.
    I have no problem doing the biking theory test if I need to, but I'm just wondering, does the provisional licence I had previously (not for A, A1 or M class), cover me to apply for the learner permit for those classes without doing the theory test?

I'm assuming I will need to do the theory test, but if I dont, it's not exactly advertised with big green, white & gold bunting out there :-)

I asked pretty much the same question, seems that they are totally separate, and we'll have to do our tests :( :P

• Advertisement

I asked pretty much the same question, seems that they are totally separate, and we'll have to do our tests :( :P

Ah well, I guess it'll make us better drivers, as well as poorer (financially) citizens ;-)

Still, I'm moving to bikes to cut down on motoring costs as I'm returning to full time education, so its not all bad! :-)

Just an update on this for anyone interested in the class M licence.
    After all the to & fro & despite the information I received both here on boards AND online on the official websites etc .... when I went to the council office to submit my permit application, the guy told me at that stage that, YES INDEED, the standard private car licence DOES cover you to drive a moped up to 50cc!

You'd think that somewhere in the glut of useless information contained online, that this would be available somewhere!

Of course there is still the possibility that the guy who took my application is a complete moron & doesnt know what he's talking about, but until proven incorrect, I'd take this as the truth if you're looking for a 50cc moped!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I did my drivers theory test back in 2006 when i was 22. I had a provisional licence that im nearly sure said i was covered on bikes up to 250.

I then got a full car drivers licence and it doesn't say anything about bikes on it.

Where do i stand? :o

I did my drivers theory test back in 2006 when i was 22. I had a provisional licence that im nearly sure said i was covered on bikes up to 250.

I'd doubt you were covered on bikes up to 250, it was probably 50cc.
    If you want to ride anything up to 50cc, you are covered with the car licence, according to what I was told by the guy that took my permit application in Galway City Council.

If you want to ride anything above 50cc, you need to apply for a permit, including the bike theory test etc.

I then got a full car drivers licence and it doesn't say anything about bikes on it.

Where do i stand? :o
    Theres never been a 250cc restriction. You either had the A licence or you didn't, ask in your local tax office. If you did have it you'll be entitled to a second one and won't need IBT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Ive a full UK car licence. Never sat UK CBT or any bike training. I passed my car licence in 2004 in the UK and had to take a theory test and hazard awareness test. I now live in Ireland and have no reason to change my driving licence to Irish as its EU. Id like to buy a motorbike for adventure and for economy reasons. I suspect I have to take IBT, but do I need to take the Irish theory test considering Ive passed the UK car theory. Is there a bile specific test which must be passed?

How would I go about applying for a licence? Would I have to exchange my car licence to obtain a motorbike licence, or could I retain my UK licence for the car and have a seperate Irish motorbike licence. I like my UK card licence, much more hardy than the ridiculous paper thing you get here. Why dont they introduce photocards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Quagmire11

I started on bikes a year ago and I went straight onto a Yamaha Dragstar 650 Classic with my A1 license. It falls within the power to weight ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Quagmire11

Hey djrichard,
    You do have to sit a bike specific theory test. Its pretty much the same as the car one but with a couple of bike specific questions thrown in. I'd say you would just end up with a seperate Irish bike license. I 'm not sure if you can add it onto your own car license unless they are both from the same country. Not positive about that but I'd be fairly confident.

Advertisement