Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New trails in 3 Rock

Comments

what do you make of the 2 trails (top one and the one back down)? awful climb up at the start for one thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments that the 'trail anchors' are dangerous. There has to be another way.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with the comments that the 'trail anchors' are dangerous. There has to be another way.

what is a 'trail anchor'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

glasso wrote: »
    what is a 'trail anchor'?

The big rocks at the edge of the trail.

I've had one or two moments on that trail already where I've nose dived off the jumps and barely managed to avoid hitting the rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

mtbireland wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen them...quick video on the upper track on board with Robin Seymour..

http://www.mtbireland.com/?p=343

Where is 3 Rock, could you give GPS co-ordinates to start of trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

zil wrote: »
    The big rocks at the edge of the trail.
    Yeah I thought the rocks lining the route were unnecessary and dangerous
    brian2me wrote: »
    Where is 3 Rock, could you give GPS co-ordinates to start of trail.
    This is the start of both loops. Follow the bike signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great video! Mr.Seymour certainly makes the trail look a lot more flowy than it actually is...

At least Coilte are slowly learning about trail design, Ballinastoe was "Test number 1", and now is quite worn and dangerous in places, big "rock chicane's" or trail anchors in B'Stoe are what i call "collar bone breakers" one slip and that's it!

It's just a pity that Coilte in there "wisdom" could not have joined the two tracks together....but just like the government did with the 2 Luas lines, they just don't meet!
    Boring tarmac road to get to the start of the upper track, and open fireroad to get back to the lower track.... show some imagination Coilte!

yep - agree that the "trail anchors" / rocks at the side are very dangerous. Parts of the top trail and the downhill trail in general encourage you to go very fast and have plenty of jumps and you could really mess yourself up hitting one of those many many rocks.

re the post about the trails not joining up and the design in general with fire road use obviously there are cost constraints and geographical constraints in terms of what you have to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's just a pity that Coilte in there "wisdom" could not have joined the two tracks together....but just like the government did with the 2 Luas lines, they just don't meet!
    Boring tarmac road to get to the start of the upper track, and open fireroad to get back to the lower track.... show some imagination Coilte!

Personally I would prefer they spend the money making the downhill trails, for me at least that's where the fun is. If they were to spend time making uphill trails then that means less time/effort devoted to the downs, the fireroads are there already why not use them and spend the money elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Meh, just something a bit more interesting than slogging up the tarmac avoiding dogs, kids and assorted walkers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement