Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly unusual Rent Allowance question

Options
  • 25-05-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone can advise me on this!

I’m looking to apply for rent allowance in a couple of months, as I’ll be starting college as a mature student in September.
    I’d really like to stay in the flat I’m in at the moment but I currently pay €595 per month, while the cut off is €529 (single person in Dublin).

So was thinking I’d have to move somewhere cheaper to be entitled to rent allowance, until something occurred to me the other day: my rent actually includes TV, broadband and bin charges – i.e. my landlord looks after all those for the tenants and the rent covers that.
    By my rough estimate those bills would add up to about €70 per month. Which means that technically my actual rent for the flat is about €525, with the rest being bills.

So my question is: how would the HSE view this situation? Obviously my bank statements and original lease agreement show that I’ve been paying €595 monthly up till now, but if I got the landlord to write up a new agreement stating that the rent is €525 per month and the bills of €70 are to be paid separately, would the HSE accept that or would they think I was trying to scam them? (I’m really not!)
    How likely are they to see my viewpoint , i.e. that the actual rent amount is within the limit?

Sorry for long post, wanted to cover all the details!
    Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I actually cant believe that you get rent allowance to help put you through college:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

I should clarify: I meant to ask for any relevant thoughts or advice.

Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think your plan is legitimate, but there is a small chance they'd ask for proof, so make sure you actually have those bills in your name from now on. Another option would be to ask simply for a rent reduction- if you've been in the flat a while and have not had a rent review, chances are you are paying above market value anyway, as rents have been falling steadily.

Thanks silja, I was afraid I might be told it’s a totally laughable idea!

I doubt that I could get the bills actually put in my name though - I assume the landlord has some reason for having these in his own name, (as opposed to electricity which is in my name), but I’ll ask him about it. Maybe they’d accept something in writing from him stating how much of my ‘rent’ has been going towards the bills?

I’ve only been here since December so a rent reduction is unlikely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, I think an itemised reciept every month could work. ie:

Received today, 1st June, from Tope:
    Rent: €525
    TV (sky+ TV license): €40
    Broadband (unlimited use): €25
    Bin charges: €5
    All other bills (ESB, water etc) to be paid by tenant.

Signed: landlord

• Advertisement

Thanks again silja, that looks about right . I'll have a talk with my landlord and hopefully it'll all work out.

Advertisement