Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience Ideas Needed

Options
  • 25-05-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Im going into TY in September and I have been thinking about where I want to do my work experince. I dont know what it is I want to do yet but I have been looking around. I live in Cavan but I am from Dublin so I could do work experience in both areas. Anyone any ideas of where I could apply to? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Keeb

Hey Ciara,
    In my opinion it is completly a waste of time to do work expereince in a shop. They often don't pay you and make you work long hours. You will probably get a part-time job in a shop somewhere down the line so don't waste your 4th year work experience on it.
    When I was in 4th year I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do I used the work expereince to help me decide. I applied to a real estate agents but unfortunatly they would not take me on for work experience.
    I was also interested in becoming a chef so I applied to Roly's Bistro is Ballsbridge, they're really nice about work exp. I was working in the pastry kitchen and really enjoyed it but it helped me decide that it was not what I wanted to be when I was older.
    I did work expereince in a primary school too and loved it. I am now a teacher :D don't waste your time working in clothes shops for work experience again, seriously. Working in shops and bars are great as part time jobs but I don't want to work in them forever and neither do you! use your time to learn what you like and don't! some of my friends worked in the four courts for theirs, that sounded cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

I just finished Fourth Year a few weeks ago and I found that trying as many things as possible was the best approach. I was in the same situation, not having an idea what I wanted to do. My Mum insisted that I try things even if I think I wouldn't like them, to make sure I didn't like them or even to open new doors.
    Loughlinstown Hospital do a programme which is excellent. I also did some coaching in my club and worked in a marketing agency.
    My one regret for work experience was not getting work experience in a shop. Of course we all don't want to spend our lives working in a shop but hey, it's Fourth Year. Make the m ost of the oppotunity you have,. You're going to get bored by the end of it, no matter how much you do. The biggest benefit I have come across is the fact that if you have done work experience in asaid shop they will often contact you if they are looking for part time staff. Half the people in my year who worked in shops came out the other side with a part time job.

I thought the hospital was the most exciting. FM104 and the likes do work experience aswell which is a bit of craic. Primary school sounds like fun although I didn't get to do it. Then absolutely anything else you hear about. Because at the end of the day 4th year is about life experience and you're not going to get that sitting in your classroom all year :)
    Hope that helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I've just finished 4th Year a couple weeks ago as well and I found Work Experience a great way to learn the way the working world works.

I would recommend stay away from working in shops for your W.E as they are good for part time jobs but I wouldn't want to get bored for doing it as a W.E. I worked in a Communications Company on a mobile engineer job and I found it very interesting and enjoyable so I would look into that if you are interested in that area. I got a placement in Dublin Fire Bridage and normally they are always busy and don't bother doing much with W.E students so I wouldn't recommend them or any Fire Bridage at this stage of recession.

The best way to look for a Work Experience placement is to look for an area you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I've just finished TY a few weeks ago and loved both by work experience weeks :D My first week was in a primary school which I loved as for years, I've known this is what i want to do! For my second week I went to a shop, which was again, a lot of fun, and I am now still working in that shop, which is great :)
    Maybe if you have more than one week choose the first week as something you want to do in the future and the second week as something you would like part-time, you might get a job out of it :)
    Enjoy TY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anderson01

If you would like to apply for job experience then the best option you have is to take the help of online job portals to help you find a suitable job according to your needs within a short span of time. So, I suggest you to apply for work experience in both the cities and then decide where you really want to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

Unsure what is accepted as W.E. or classed as community service..

but try http://camara.ie/web/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

Use this website to look for placements! www.transitionyearhelp.com. it has a list of work experince and community care places that are willing to take students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jodie98

how did you contact fm104 about work experience, want to go there but they have no way of contacting them ,? please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

best thing to do is walk into their offices and hand them your cv in person, works much better than emailing. Worked for me and i did my work exp in Q102, and got a summer job out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Benjie dada

I need work experience I am studying community care and I need help with advice on where to go to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 M0dern Misfit

Id definitely do something different are you interested in music or promotion ? Friend of mine worked with a radio station id go for that if it was me such as 98fm or spin

• Registered Users Posts: 4 M0dern Misfit

Email or phone call is your best bet !

Advertisement