Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub work

• 25-05-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

At a bit of a loss after doing a few days subbing. Basically I've done hibernia and just waiting on my final results of the course and managed to get 4 days subbing in a local school. Cut a long story short principal came in today on last day and handed me a cheque for 127 euro and said were now up to date and that's the going rate cause I don't have my results... Bit dumfounded and they want me back in next week... It's well below minimum wage even...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Was that just for one day? That couldn't possibly be for four days! I think that would be about right for the daily unqualified rate. Are you joined the INTO - they're very handy for things like this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sounds odd. Are you on emergency tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0004_2010_scales.pdf

€127.91 is the daily rate for an unqualified person for one day. You should be due €511.64, before deductions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Maybe there was a sub in for just one day and the principal got ye mixed up - you were only paid for one day. Well worth a quick question next week, probably a simple mistake.
    If the principal then says it is the right amount for 4 days subbing simply ask him to write the calculations out, as he/she is clearly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pinklegs

You should have been paid ny the Department of education and not the principal. Ask him/her why they paid you and why it wasn't put through to the department's payroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

board of management can opt to pay for a sub if they need one but dont have a valid reason which the dept. would pay for. i have also heard of teachers paying for a sub themselves if they needed a day off which wouldn't get sub cover. its not very common however.
    it would be very cheeky of a principal to not pay the going rate, especially when the sub might be afraid to rock the boat, for fear of not getting more subbing that comes up in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ToonyLoon

I'd like to know how you got on when you asked about the payment? I think it's an insult to someone who has trained to do that job. You deserved fair resompense for your work which that clearly wasnt. I wouldn't go back to that school if that's the way they treat subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

thanks a million guys... payment was for one day and the others were paid thru dept.. all sorted

Advertisement