Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SRAM Apex

• 25-05-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Any one usein this groupset? seems good value! also anyone seen the white version on sale any place?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭jayjbe

byebye wrote: »
    Any one usein this groupset? seems good value! also anyone seen the white version on sale any place?

Cheers!!

A few of the lads are using it...they're kinda fussy when it comes to equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

11-32 is stupid gearing. I'd rather have a triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

jayjbe wrote: »
    A few of the lads are using it...they're kinda fussy when it comes to equipment!

be deff good enuff for me so! wouldn't go for the 32! dont really come across hills that would need 32 that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

fran oconnor on here has it on his canyon winter bike

shifts great, the biggest cog is MASSIVE

so its piss easy going up steep hills with it, if you want it, get it

the one small thing with it would be self trimming the rear derailer is pretty awkward, but if you dont do anything on your bike, youll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    11-32 is stupid gearing. I'd rather have a triple.

11-32 isn't that stupid. 11-36 is stupid, especially when you run it with a 52/42 double.

Millar%20XX%20mech%20cassette.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭jayjbe

be deff good enuff for me so! wouldn't go for the 32! dont really come across hills that would need 32 that much.

maybe worth considering a compact and 12-26 on the back. you will get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

jayjbe wrote: »
    maybe worth considering a compact and 12-26 on the back. you will get the best of both worlds.

I use a compact with an 11-28, will get you almost anywhere ;)

Sure the Giro this year,racing aside, just seems to be one big Ad for SRAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

AS a matter of interest what is the total spread of gearing on this 11:32?
    Is it like normal steps on the mid cogs: 11, 12, 13 etc and then a couple of huge jumps on the last few cogs or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Why would your run that with a 42?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

fat bloke wrote: »
    AS a matter of interest what is the total spread of gearing on this 11:32?
    Is it like normal steps on the mid cogs: 11, 12, 13 etc and then a couple of huge jumps on the last few cogs or what?

11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@diarmuid @ NOT
    The Garmin guys mostly used a 52/36 compact with 11/32 on the rear in the Giro tough climb stages. Some guys couldnt get a compact because they use elliptical rings. So they used 52/38 not 42 and an 11/36 or 11/38 on the back.

Btw on gearing, Contador by all accounts uses a compact a lot in training. Just look at his cadence and fluidity versus say Scaraponi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was tempted to go for Apex White for my BTW build. I don't think I'd go for the WiFli gearing, but I will go for compact 12-26/27. The "problem" with Apex is that for only €75 more I can get the Rival groupset with the same ratios.

Idleater wrote: »
    I was tempted to go for Apex White for my BTW build. I don't think I'd go for the WiFli gearing, but I will go for compact 12-26/27. The "problem" with Apex is that for only €75 more I can get the Rival groupset with the same ratios.

Ya i have seen that. but is the difference between apex and rival be worth the extra? looks wise they are pretty much the same! i dont know weight wise if rival is much lighter or the shift be much better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Interesting topic this one!!

I am now using SRAM force gruppo 53/39 12/25 on my new cento UNO and love it... But I will need either a compact chainset or apex RD and cassette for Marmotte in July....

Apex will be cheaper but alas will I look like a douche with the dinner plate cassette....???? It's all about looking PRO (really the only thing that matters)

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Who's gonna look like a douche, as you breeze past the struggling churners, look em in the eye and say "How's it goin'?" and whirr off into the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

[QUOTE=ROK ON;72424508
    Just look at his cadence and fluidity versus say Scaraponi.[/QUOTE]

Scarponi needs to eat more steak :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cipo wrote: »
    Apex will be cheaper but alas will I look like a douche with the dinner plate cassette....???? It's all about looking PRO (really the only thing that matters)

;-)

FWIW almost any local rider you meet will be using a triple. Struggling along on a standard is not considered PRO over there, it's considered silly.

Given the options I'd prefer a compact with 12-27 (or 11-28) to a standard with 11-34 (or whatever) on the grounds that gappy cassettes make finding that climbing rhythm harder. It's a bit more expensive but it is a better set up.

Ya i have seen that. but is the difference between apex and rival be worth the extra? looks wise they are pretty much the same! i dont know weight wise if rival is much lighter or the shift be much better?

Rival appears to be a fraction lighter all round, 20g -80g a component or so saving ~225g. I remember reading about moulds etc when deciding between Red and Force for the race bike.

From what I remember, Force and Red are identical bar Titanium bits n pieces and Red has a better front mech trim adjustment, and Rival was the Alu crank version but still has the carbon shifters. Apex now appears to be a fraction less refined Rival with alu/steel all around but the same shift activation and precision (less trimming).

I presume the pro's that were using it were only using the block and Medium cage derraileur rather than the full groupset.

My reason for going with either Apex or Rival is that I want the same shift setup on my training/commuting bike as the race bike, but without the Force/Red expense. After that, quotes I have are either €525 or €600 for the groupset and carbon looks instead of white.

Idleater wrote: »
    Rival appears to be a fraction lighter all round, 20g -80g a component or so saving ~225g. I remember reading about moulds etc when deciding between Red and Force for the race bike.

From what I remember, Force and Red are identical bar Titanium bits n pieces and Red has a better front mech trim adjustment, and Rival was the Alu crank version but still has the carbon shifters. Apex now appears to be a fraction less refined Rival with alu/steel all around but the same shift activation and precision (less trimming).

I presume the pro's that were using it were only using the block and Medium cage derraileur rather than the full groupset.

My reason for going with either Apex or Rival is that I want the same shift setup on my training/commuting bike as the race bike, but without the Force/Red expense. After that, quotes I have are either €525 or €600 for the groupset and carbon looks instead of white.

Thanks for the info!! do you mind me askin where you got the €600 price for rival? was it online?

As for lookin stupid with a "dinner plate" it beats struggling or walkin up a very steep climb! it would be no prob to get a short cage mech and smaller cassette at a later time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I hear ye lads... No looking like a douche!!

I suspect by the foot of d'Huez I could be grinding the gears no matter what set-up I have!!

Id be happy with 50/34 12/27. Will chat with LBS mechanic and see what je thinks of the jumps on spacing etc with 11/32...but price is still a factor too!!

• Advertisement

do you mind me askin where you got the €600 price for rival? was it online?

Well it was a verbal quote from my LBS who will be building me a BTW bike so unfortunately nothing official. I know he rang SRAM to get me prices on Rival, and then I asked how much Apex white would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

SRAM Rival for 546 -it's where I got mine from a couple years ago

SRAM Rival for 546 -it's where I got mine from a couple years ago

Good price. Unfortunately for me as I'm going through the BTW, I can only go with the LBS ordering in the groupset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Merlin have VIP prices for some Apex and Rival, but limited options available for the Apex in particular (only 175mm or 172.5mm with 34/50 and 11-26). You need to log in to get the VIP prices but registering is free. Should be free P&P over £100.

Apex €372.17
    Rival €505.03

Merlin have VIP prices for some Apex and Rival, but limited options available for the Apex in particular (only 175mm or 172.5mm with 34/50 and 11-26). You need to log in to get the VIP prices but registering is free. Should be free P&P over £100.

Apex €372.17
    Rival €505.03

Cheers for that! they are crackin prices!! :)

Advertisement