Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO DECISIONS........ACTUARIAL MATHS

• 25-05-2011 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭daviekelly123

hi everyone.....should i do actuarial maths in dcu? need advice....please. Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

..should i do acturial maths in dcu?

It's up to you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭daviekelly123

its so hard to decide :( do u no anything about it? what grade shud u be gettin in lc to be well able 4 it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

its so hard to decide :( do u no anything about it? what grade shud u be gettin in lc to be well able 4 it?

Sorry I don't know anything 'bout it. Try the DCU forum though or even any other college that has that course you could ask about it. LC isn't a test of intelligence so you can't really say how well you need to do in the leaving for the course.

i meant lc maths ooppss :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This is a good link if you want to find out more about becoming an actuary
    https://web.actuaries.ie/about/careers/how-can-i-become-an-actuary

You need a high grade in Maths, most Actuarial students would have gotten an A, but you only need a HB1 to get into the course ( I think ).

I'm doing Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD (just finished 1st year) and I love it. The course in DCU is very similar. They both give you exemptions from the professional exams which are required to become a fully-qualified actuary.

There's a table on that page of which colleges offer which exemptions. It's accurate, but note that UCC (Cork) offers CT8 as well as the ones that are listed.

• Advertisement

They both give you exemptions from the professional exams which are required to become a fully-qualified actuary.

Some of them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

bluewolf wrote: »
    Some of them

Sorry, I meant to say that :o

OP, you only get some of them depending on how well you do. The idea is that you do lots of different subjects ("modules") and some of these modules correspond to a professional exam. For example, there is an exam (CT7) in Economics - there are two modules that cover the material needed for this exam. Provided you get a high grade in both these exams, you'll be "exempted" from CT7 and you won't have to sit the formal exam.

Because not everyone gets all exemptions (it's difficult to get all of them, but you can still get some of them), I wouldn't go choosing a college based solely on how many exemptions are offered!!

If you're not positive about wanting to be an actuary, then perhaps a better option would be to do a more broad degree, such as Mathematical Science (e.g. in UCD, Maynooth, or Maths in Trinity, etc.) and after this, you can become an actuary by doing the professional exams (albeit with no exemptions so you'll have to put in a lot of hard work) or you can do the Actuarial Science Postgraduate HDip in UCD which might get you some of the exemptions.

Best of luck - it's tough having to choose what you want to do so early with the CAO!

thanks 4 all ur help :D if any1 has any more advice id love 2 hear it....

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Even if you do maths in further education there is no need to include numbers in every sentence.

sorry.....facebook habit :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I've made loads of posts on boards about actuary as a career and the university courses, do a search and you will find what I've written!

Advertisement