Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University or IT?

• 25-05-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Do employers see a difference between a Uni degree or an IT degree? Trying to make decisions now and not sure which way to go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Question is do you see a difference between Uni and an IT - IMO Uni is the only way to go if you can get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Is there a snobbery within employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

I don't think there is any Uniform snobbery, although I may very well be wrong and have just never experienced it. Often it seems to depends on the kind of degree you are doing. For example one scenario I know of occurred in the telecoms industry where candidates for an IT related job with degrees from certain ITs were preferred because it turned out the course work they had done in college was more pertinent to the sector they were seeking employment in then the work done by University students. It all depends really. An honours degree from an IT and an Honours degree from a University are both level 8 and theoretically getting your degree from an IT shouldn't limit your prospects. An employer will generally judge the candidate's potential individually as opposed to by who conferred their degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,678 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Question is do you see a difference between Uni and an IT - IMO Uni is the only way to go if you can get in.

This here sounds like snobbery I'd say, but that may come down to what course this poster has done or wishes to do etc and is a personal and entitled opnion

It comes down to the qualification you want, there are degrees that are considered quite good and highly thought of because of a Uni's reputation even though many on the courses themselves will tell you they are badly taught, mismanaged and overall rubbish.

I know people who have gone to both ITs and Unis and they all seem to be on a par in terms of career success.

Perhaps in terms of going onto to do post-grad study abroad in particular, University would appear better.

At the end of the day though it comes down to the work you put in yourself, the quality of the course vs the reputation of the college (unis with great reps often have dire courses compared to some of the ITs) and what exactly you want to do.

2 time Uni grad as well saying this and going back too.

Advertisement