Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remoting to a PC in the UK

• 25-05-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for a means of remoting to a PC in the UK to make a few changes on it, pretty much like Remote Desktop Connection but i'd imagine i'd have to use something like PC Anywhere or Dameware.

Does anyone know of a free application that will allow me to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Teamviewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Mena wrote: »
    Teamviewer

Cheers, just having a look now. Have you used it? How did you find it?

It looks like a commercial product, so just wondering what is the benefit for them to make a full version available? Am I being over sceptical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Logmein is very good. Free version gives full control of remote pc, pro version adds file sharing and printing remote files to local, and more.
    To setup initially you will need to be at the 'remote pc' to install the software(add the computer to your account), after that all you need to do is login to your account on the local pc and connect. You can add endless pcs to your account - even on the free.

ArtyM wrote: »
    Logmein is very good.

I have heard of that actually, a mate of mine uses it, forgot about that. I'll check it out as well, cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

LogMeIn or Team viewer will do the trick and are definitely the easiest solutions.

An alternative would be to configure the VPN features on the remote router if it supports them. The one advantage of this would be that you could then enable wake on lan on the remote computer, and boot it up if it happens to be powered down when you want to access it, then use remote desktop to do the actual remote access.

I find remote desktop much more response than TeamViewer / Logmein, especially over poor connections.

Brian

• Advertisement

An alternative would be to configure the VPN features on the remote router if it supports them. The one advantage of this would be that you could then enable wake on lan on the remote computer, and boot it up if it happens to be powered down when you want to access it, then use remote desktop to do the actual remote access.

I find remote desktop much more response than TeamViewer / Logmein, especially over poor connections.

Brian

That's probably what i'll need to do, knowing there is a poor connection on the remote PC end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Teamviewer is free for the full version for non commerical use meaning you can transfer files etc... logmein make you pay for the priviledge. I removed LogMeIn Free last night in favour of teamviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Windows mesh (microsoft) does it for free. I'm not sure how it works outside of windows 7, or even if it works at all outside of window 7 but from what I can remember it's as good as logmein. You will have to install the software on both machines though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

We had several solutions in work, but Teamviewer was the fastest and less hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

OpenSSH

• Advertisement
Advertisement