Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends on facebook

• 25-05-2011 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Do you feel obliged to accept some people who request your friendship via facebook?

For example, old friend, haven't seen in years, never was overly close to him, so ignore him, bearing in mind he'd do you no harm.

Then, (as happened me) HR manager requests me as a friend, if I ignored her, it'd be quite obvious, and awkward! I did feel obliged to accept her friendship, cue me never being able to slag my work again, never being able to complain about my hangovers on Mondays, constantly wondering if what I posted was rude, not funny, etc etc.

But worst of all........

I complained about her invite, and my acceptance to the mates in the pub one night, which resulted in literally hundreds of(BULL SHÏT) wall posts per day, ranging from details about how I gave anal to women/received it by men, wall posts appeared about how much weed ji supposedly smoked the night before, drunken tales that never happened, but worst of all, one particular bastard posted a pic of my (supposedly) arse one day!

Granted, she was good for a laugh, but it could very easily of had the opposite effect!

Question is, do you give a fcuk wether our not you blatantly refused a friend request on facebook even if you have to deal with said person on a daily basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Accept them so they get the notification that you are friends, then delete/block them 2 weeks later. They'll probably just assume you don't post much and won't go looking for your page.

I just don't do anything with the ones I don't want to accept, neither accept or ignore, they just sit there doing nothing with themselves and for all that person knows, you don't really use facebook so no big deal!

I liked it better when you had the option not to allow anyone ask you to be their friend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do you feel obliged to accept some people who request your friendship via facebook?

For example, old friend, haven't seen in years, never was overly close to him, so ignore him, bearing in mind he'd do you no harm.

Then, (as happened me) HR manager requests me as a friend, if I ignored her, it'd be quite obvious, and awkward! I did feel obliged to accept her friendship, cue me never being able to slag my work again, never being able to complain about my hangovers on Mondays, constantly wondering if what I posted was rude, not funny, etc etc.

But worst of all........

I complained about her invite, and my acceptance to the mates in the pub one night, which resulted in literally hundreds of wall posts per day, ranging from details about how I gave anal to women/received it by men, wall posts appeared about how much weed ji supposedly smoked the night before, drunken tales that never happened, but worst of all, one particular bastard posted a pic of my (supposedly) arse one day!

Granted, she was good for a laugh, but it could very easily of had the opposite effect!

Question is, do you give a fcuk wether our not you blatantly refused a friend request on facebook even if you have to deal with said person on a daily basis?
    Most of the people i interact with on a daily basis are on my Face Book friends list, That said i have rejected plenty of would be friends for the simple fact i did not like them when i would have seen them on a regular basis like in old jobs, college or school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Such trivial worries you all have.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You can have friends on Facebook? Must be doing it wrong so.... wondered why the page always looked the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

ive accepted many requests and then delete them at a later date (im not sure if that stops them accessing my profile) - but nowadays i dont accept a request i dont want. if someone says 'did you get my fb friend request?' ill either say no or just say yes. they usually dont pursue it if i say yes. not that it happens often.
    i did have a load of old school friends. most i deleted cos id nothing in common with them and most of them were always posting about their baby's latest bowel movement, their extre,me hangover and intentions on going out again tonight. got tedious.

i wonder do some businessses now ask someone in HR to add staff as friends- to keep an eye on them during work hours, see if someone logs on when they pull a sickie etc

ive grown past the stage where i fb everyone i meet however briefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Hmmm my advice never allow a HR person to be your friend on FB.
    But then again its not wise to put up any posts of work related issues

BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Have recently had two friends requests , one by a complete stranger who happens to just a friend of somebody I knew and the other by somebody who is the equivalent of a boards troll whom I don't see on a daily basis .I do like the option of blocking some people from viewing your photos , quotes and other information .Will not add anybody just for the sake of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ghandee wrote: »

Never ever accept someone who could be in charge of you in work, thats just asking for trouble. And never feel guilty about refusing them either, you don't have to be someones friends to be an effective work colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dev100 wrote: »
    Hmmm my advice never allow a HR person to be your friend on FB.
    But then again its not wise to put up any posts of work related issues

BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING

are you trying to be clever?

Our Alfie is blind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I accept everyone that adds me on Facebook, good, bad or indifferent. It just doesn't bother me enough to put any more thought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Oh god. Its stories like this that make me want to ignore fb.

I signed up, formatted my page/profile etc, and then never went back and now I keep getting friendly reminders of people who I want nothing to do with inviting me to be "friends"...

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I'm an FB friend whore in that I accept just about anyone. But my security settings are such that I don't show up in searches, my wall is locked from non-friends, as are my photos, and personal info, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭popsmar

Privacy settings are there for a reason. Groups settings are there for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

I don't have a wall so people can't post crap like you describe. If someone wants to send me a message they can send one privately. Or if I comment on one of their posts they can just reply to me on their own page without others being notified of every little thing I say. Some people seem to be very upset that I don't have a wall though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

preemptive strike is always the best.. In your job, have a quick search for those you would hate to be friends with on facebook, and block them before they have a chance to find you on facebook. They wont even know you're there ;)

Human nature being what it is , there is always one or two who as in real life you just don't want knowing any of your business including some relatives who are just nosy bar stools.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Connorzee wrote: »
    preemptive strike is always the best.. In your job, have a quick search for those you would hate to be friends with on facebook, and block them before they have a chance to find you on facebook. They wont even know you're there ;)

Hmmm. And this works? they'll search and not find you? Even if you have friends in common?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Seriously considering deleting my FB account, the town numptys can even set up accounts now, cue piss off FB..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Don't use your real name on Facebook so then people can't search you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Try being in my shoes:

I over-reacted and blocked a friend on facebook, thinking I could just unblock and everything would be fine. Little did I know blocking someone removes them as a friend aswell, so we're not "friends" on it now and I'm gonna look like a complete as*hole to request her friendship again, after she figures out I removed her as a friend.

What's worse is she's a girl I've been flirting with for ages. And we had a minor falling out a few days ago. There go my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You can customise your settings for each person, so that they can/can't see your posts, statuses, photos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When you post on your wall, you can choose who can and can't read the post.

Click the little lock under your status update, click 'customise', then do this:

http://omg.wthax.org/durrr.jpg

Make it your default setting and presto.

Acoshla wrote: »
    You can customise your settings for each person, so that they can/can't see your posts, statuses, photos etc.
    Exactly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Your friends are my heroes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You can't search for me on facebook, can only find me through mutual friends so I don't get too many randoms adding me. I have no problem denying someone's friendship if I don't want them looking at my page. Don't think they would be upset because if I don't want to add them, I don't know them that well anyway. Have been deleting friends on a weekly basis these days. People you used to go to school or college with but are no longer in touch with and have no reason to ever be. Also have a good number on my block list, so they can't see what I share with friends.

I hate facebook, but it has a hold of me and I can't delete it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

groups!!!!

Only my close friends can see everything.
    My relations have their own list where they don't see as much filth/swearing
    My boss is on a separate list called "no info" where they can't see most (drunken) pictures or access my wall.
    I also can't be found via the search unless we have a friend in common.

Be warned people who were saying i neither ignore or accept some people. If they are sitting there waiting to be confirmed or denied they have access to a lot of your profile. Only found this out recently :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

This is why i stayed on Bebo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Groups my man!

You can selectively give them a few things here and there. Some crappy photos etc...but they can only see what you let them.

No need to offend anyone. Even if they are, tough ****! It's only facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

luckily i'll never work in a job that requires me to be presentable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have a group for my close friends, so we can discuss plans we dont want others to know, or send each other private type links. Have one for me and my boyfriend too, mostly cause people complained about our sappy posts to each other :pac:

Have a small few family members added, most others blocked. No managers form work added either. These people really don't need to see what I'm up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Facebook is just too much bother. They'll probably change the privacy policy someday and everything will be public.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have no problem deleting friends. I just don't see the point in having a large amount of friends (1000+) relative to your actual friend count. I would put my real life 'very good friend' count at 4, my close friends/ close family at an extra 10, and my personal, non work acquaintances, with whom I have had a conversation in the past year at perhaps 150. That corresponds about right with my facebook friends, I always delete those with whom I haven't spoken in about a year or more. If you never speak to them, why keep them on your profile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Hmmm. And this works? they'll search and not find you? Even if you have friends in common?

Yup. You could even be commenting on the same post as them and both of you wont be able to see each other. You wont turn up on their search and you wont find them to search.

Advertisement