Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite Shower - no hot water

• 25-05-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I have a Mira elite electric shower (tank fed) in my ensuite. It is about 4 years old, it's only pumping cold water at the moment. I cleaned the filter, so that's not the problem, the element (I think) was replaced last year as it was running hot and cold un controllabley. Has anyone any clues as to what may be the problem?
    At this stage I feel like chucking it out because it's been nothing but problems from day 1, can anyone recommend a replacement that would be an easy swap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have a Mira elite electric shower (tank fed) in my ensuite. It is about 4 years old, it's only pumping cold water at the moment. I cleaned the filter, so that's not the problem, the element (I think) was replaced last year as it was running hot and cold un controllabley. Has anyone any clues as to what may be the problem?
    At this stage I feel like chucking it out because it's been nothing but problems from day 1, can anyone recommend a replacement that would be an easy swap?

Anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I had a similar problem with our one a while back.
    Turns out the element is a 2 part affair.
    You have the solenoid (relatively cheap).
    You have the element (which I was told if that goes , just bin the shower)
    I replaced the solenoid but unfortunately I chose poorly. In fairness to the shop , they took back the solenoid and took it off the price of a new shower.

We are renting so the bill ultimately went back to the landlord but they are a fairly crap shower.For the money I think there's way better ones out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

If your changing go for a Trition lasts far longer, but like them all they hate hard water......

The T90si is the latest (I think). I would advise you to shop around for one though as they vary in price.

The rear won't be a like for like replacement though so you'll have to line it up a bit and you may need an extra tile or two

Irish Fire wrote: »
    If your changing go for a Trition lasts far longer, but like them all they hate hard water......

The T90si is the latest (I think). I would advise you to shop around for one though as they vary in price.

The rear won't be a like for like replacement though so you'll have to line it up a bit and you may need an extra tile or two

I think I'll be replacing as I already spent money on getting it repaired early last year, I was never overly impressed with it from day one, thanks for the advise, I'll price a Triton.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

all tank fed showers are brutal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I be 99% sure that the thermal switch is gone.
    Its really easy to change and only costs about 12 euro. mira_elite_2.jpg
    No 1 just above the element is where that Thermal switch is located.
    If you have a mulitmeter you could see if there is continuity at the Thermal switch if there is not well its a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

If you have a mulitmeter you could see if there is continuity at the Thermal switch if there is not well its a new one.

Did someone call me?

Ok, thanks, worth a try. Can you explain to my not very well developed electrical brain how exactly I do the test : D? I have a multimeter, thanks again. P.S. where would I get that part if thats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Ok, thanks, worth a try. Can you explain to my not very well developed electrical brain how exactly I do the test : D? I have a multimeter, thanks again. P.S. where would I get that part if thats the problem?

Either is my brain but lets say put the two ends of the leads from the multimeter together and turn on the meter until your on the setting where you get a tone or a buzz from the multimeter, when your on that setting put one end of the lead onto one side of the thermal switch where there is a wire coming of it and the other lead onto the other side of the thermal switch on the other wire, make sure your on the metal part where the wire joins the thermal switch.

If the switch is working it will buzz if its not buzzing it switch needs replacing.

You can get them Thermal switches from morden plant on the naas road or if you could get into a good plumbing and heating shop they should be able to order one up for you and you could have it in a day or two..

I wouldn't bother changing the shower if that is what is wrong with it Its so easy to change I think there is only two screws holding it in and it could save you 250 plus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Miras and Tritons are both as good as each other ,we happen to install tritons by choice but if a mira was being replaced ,wouldn't hesitate to put a new one in again.

• Advertisement

With the arrival of a new baby into the house two weeks ago I only got around to changing the thermostat now, as suggested by Roy Rodgers, and guess what........... thanks, you just saved me the price of a new shower!! It's working perfect, 15 quid and 5 minutes to fit, if only all of lifes problems were this easily fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

Hi
    This thread was a great help. I ordered a new Thermo Switch and fitted it and it worked. (this caused me a few problems as some of the screws were awkward to get to. I had to unscrew a few other bits in order to to the get to the thermo switch ones. Is there an easier way).
    However, two weeks later no hot water again.
    The lights on the unit do not come on but there is a light on above the cord so power is getting to it.
    I checked all the wires going to the thermo switch and they're all connected ok.
    Is it time to get a new shower? This one is six and a half years old.
    Would i be able to fit a new shower myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

bogman44 wrote: »
    Hi
    This thread was a great help. I ordered a new Thermo Switch and fitted it and it worked. (this caused me a few problems as some of the screws were awkward to get to. I had to unscrew a few other bits in order to to the get to the thermo switch ones. Is there an easier way).
    However, two weeks later no hot water again.
    The lights on the unit do not come on but there is a light on above the cord so power is getting to it.
    I checked all the wires going to the thermo switch and they're all connected ok.
    Is it time to get a new shower? This one is six and a half years old.
    Would i be able to fit a new shower myself?

Have you checked the switch? just becauce the led is on on the switch does not mean it's working. I've come across this a few times where the switch has gone faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

Power is definitely getting to the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pason

in my humble opinion tank fed showers are more reliable than mains fed because if you have not got level pressure for mains fed shower it will break your heart flowing hot and cold

Advertisement