Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Biographies

Options
  • 25-05-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

I am a big fan of political biographies but haven't read many about Irish politicians. What ones would you recommend that I buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you looking for current/ recent politician's autobiographies, or more historical stuff?

- "Short Fellow: A Biography of Charles Haughey" was pretty good, some fun anectodes and good look at the Irish political climate of the time.
    - "Eamon De Valera: The Man Who Was Ireland " is solid, even if I disagree with some of the premises being political reflections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Not sure if you meant modern or past Irish politicians OP. I'm a great admirer of the biographical trade; its widely maligned, but its a useful prism through which we understand broader trends. Understand the man/woman, you understand the times, and if you understand the times you better understand the man/woman.

Some of the better ones I've read:

Conor Cruise O'Brien, The Great Melody (Biography of Edmund Burke)
    Tim Pat Coogan, Michael Collins
    T. Ryle Dwyer, De Valera
    F.S.L. Lyons, Parnell (Most authoritative book on the man)
    Ruth Dudley Edwards, Patrick Pearse; the triumph of failure
    Brian Inglis, Roger Casement.
    Fearghal McGarry, Eoin O'Duffy; the self made hero (This one is surprisingly good, very highly recommended)
    Patrick Geoghegan has written a two volume biography of Daniel O'Connell (Haven't got round to the second one yet) He also wrote a book on Robert Emmet. As did Marianne Elliot, her book is one of the more interesting and controversial chapters of Irish historiography.

Oh, and just to show I haven't got some west brit bias, check out Meda Ryan's book on Tom Barry.

There are various memoirs out there by combatants in the Tan War and Civil War, but the best written is by Ernie O'Malley (On Another Man's Wound and The Singing Flame)

Wasn't sure if you were seeking modern or past politicians, but I can guarantee you that these biographies are among the reading lists of major Irish politicians regardless.

Now get to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Some excellent recommendations and enough to keep me going for the next few months.

Are there any more on more recent politicians that people would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A fairly light read, but interesting, is "There's something about Mary" by Mary Banotti- a book about Irish female politicians called Mary.

Not an Irish biography but Tony Blair's autobiography "The Journey" covers a good bit of Northern Irish/ Unionist politics with lots of interesting anectodes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Against The Tide by Noel Browne

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 umairaraza100

well if you want to take more info about the irish politics then you have need to search from the google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

I'm reading Albert Reynolds' one now while waiting on some more to arrive from Amazon.

Overall not a bad read and the chapters on the peace process are very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ganlan

signature2.jpgseo1.jpgseo2.jpguk2.jpgliu.jpgyeah ,I think so!

Advertisement