Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Sire to cover a Diesis Mare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

I'm open to correction on this, but i think he is standing in Oz by one of the share holders. I believe he only covers a small number for obvious reasons. Not sure if he is shuttled to northern hemisphere for our covering season.

Cheers mate. Just checked and he's definitely in stud in Australia. Given his fertility issues, I'd be surprised if he's shipped back here for our campaign (although that might changed now given his success with his first crop).

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Standing is Rosemont in Oz, no price up for this year.

http://www.bloodstock.com.au/bloodstock/stallion/starspangledbanner-1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 d4dermot

Now starSB would look like very good value at 10k.... For loss of reasons I don't think that he's an option for me. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I don't know anything about pedigrees.
    I just saw one of my fav horses from few years ago is 3000 a pop and he's all speed.
    Tough as Nails
    Remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 d4dermot

Ya. .I backed him in the curragh when hew was second. . He's way over priced at 3k though. I would prefer to look at the 5 to10k sires that are getting winners. You pay a bit more for the proven ones but at least they're proven! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

d4dermot wrote: »
    Ya. .I backed him in the curragh when hew was second. . He's way over priced at 3k though. I would prefer to look at the 5 to10k sires that are getting winners. You pay a bit more for the proven ones but at least they're proven! !
    Jeremy is promising at €5k and given Kool Kompany's exploits recently he's a trendy enough sire whose stock should sell well. You can't go too far wrong with the Danehill Dancer line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Dermot are you looking to sell or race that's very important in selecting your stallion? It's fitting the Danehill Dancer line is so popular the year he is pensioned and they can do no wrong at present but I would avoid Jeremy like the plague. Poor sellers and dual purpose aren't ones I would like especially if he is looking for a bit of speed in the pedigree

Realistically you would be doing very well to produce a good horse from the pedigree- the dam won but she hasn't produced much-am I correct in thinking she didn't produce a foal from your filly until last year with an Elusive Pimpernel

You have to go all the way back to the fourth dam Fruhlingstag for anything worthwhile- they had some expensive matings for her, Nijinsky,Blushing Groom, three times she was covered by Riverman. It is a very stoute pedigree you would want something with a bit of speed but I wouldn't be going for a cheap precocious sort like Dandy Man. Yes they are popular but I wouldn't want such a contrast in the page ( I know your filly is a sprinter but is nowhere near on pedigree)

Not sure I would go for some of the stallions advertised above, and remember you won't be the only one noticing first season sires doing well- they will cover huge books at a bigger fee next year, not good if you are looking to go through the ring. What is your budget if you are considering Kodiac ? Looking at your filly's page (I would want a proven sire ) I would consider Rock of Gibraltar 12.5k, Holy Roman Emperor if you were going that expensive (20k) or Kodiac himself.

Advertisement