Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 things to do in kerry

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

top 10 things to do in kerry when on your holidays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

go to the region section-south-kerry
    loads of info there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Muckrus House Kilarney,Oceanworld Dingle,Aqua Dome/Maner West Shopping centre Tralee...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Slea Head Drive
    Pubcrawl in Dingle
    Murphy's Icecream- Dingle and Killarney
    Jaunting car trip in the national park
    Visit the Great Blasket and /or Skellig
    Ring of Kerry
    Derrynane House

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Surfing in Ballybunion (2 surf schools on beach , wetsuits & boards supplied)
    Golfing in Ballybunion (...ok, I am a bit biased twoards Ballyb)
    Climbing in Dingle (great indoor climbing wall in PlayAtHeight centre for all levels of skill)
    Walk around Muckross house (Killarneny national park - dont forget to see Torc waterfall ... all free!)
    Killarney outlet centre (cheap Nikes, and a fab army surplus store)
    Aqua Dome, Tralee (great slides & lazy river, plus waves!)
    Lots of hill walking & hikes (pay a guide to bring you up Irelands tallest mountain)

thats just my list ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Murphy's Icecream- Dingle and Killarney

Not if you have 4 kids (IMHO)... Spar (next door) do kids' cones for 1/3 the price in Dingle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

si_guru wrote: »
    Not if you have 4 kids (IMHO)... Spar (next door) do kids' cones for 1/3 the price in Dingle.

Some people have got money to burn.:P

Here is my shorter list.

Drive over Conor pass.. just for the view!
    Go for a burger at Alma's in Milltown.
    Go for a pint in Mike Neil's on Sunday afternoon (Camp)
    Oceanworld, Dingle - great place.
    Take the wife to buy something from Brian d Staic.
    Walk, play football, fly a kite, surf on Inch beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

...forgot 1 ....

The South Pole Inn, Annascaul. This the pub Tom Crean opened in 1920 after he retired from exploring Antraticia (with Scott, Shackleton, etc). Great pub, good food, and a fantastic atmosphere (and chance to soak up the great history of one of Kerrys greatest heros...imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

lol

So basically, apart from a bit of scenery, a few pubs and eateries, an over-priced aquadome, a Dingle fish-tank, Kerry's got feck all?:o

Fáilte Ireland should be renamed Failed you Ireland.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So basically, apart from a bit of scenery, a few pubs and eateries, an over-priced aquadome, a Dingle fish-tank, Kerry's got feck all?:o

If your worried about the price of the aquadome, we have plenty of beaches. And if the restaurants are too up market we have Mac Donalds and Burger king too. The 'fish tank' and scenery are nothing compared to discovery channel when you see it in HD.

The pale will miss you while your away :P

If your worried about the price of the aquadome, we have plenty of beaches. And if the restaurants are too up market we have Mac Donalds and Burger king too. The 'fish tank' and scenery are nothing compared to discovery channel when you see it in HD.

The pale will miss you while your away :P

I just feel sorry for the tourists, coming all that way and sobbing on their hands and knees when they can't find anything to do.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There's plenty to do in Kerry. Don't be relying on other people to organise your fun for you. This week I've already done 60 km mountainbiking in killarney. Surfed at numerous beaches, been to the cinema and walking in the forrest. This isn't boasting, just making the point that there is plenty to do if you get off your arse.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    There's plenty to do in Kerry. Don't be relying on other people to organise your fun for you. This week I've already done 60 km mountainbiking in killarney. Surfed at numerous beaches, been to the cinema and walking in the forrest. This isn't boasting, just making the point that there is plenty to do if you get off your arse.

Tourists can take part in these activities anywhere, so what incentive would they have to come here to involve themselves in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

Come out to the longest beach in Ireland out here in Castlegregory to go horse trekking and then down to Spillanes for a buger and a pint whilst overlooking Brandon Bay...lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Tourists can take part in these activities anywhere, so what incentive would they have to come here to involve themselves in them?

I believe the original point of this thread was
    top 10 things to do in kerry when on your holidays

not top 10 reasons why tourists should come to Kerry and not any other county but, to answer your question, there is no other county in the country to match Kerry for the great outdoors.

chimpo85 wrote: »
    ... then down to Spillanes for a buger...!

WTF??? :D

Come to Ashes in Camp!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My tuppence worth (in no particular order)

1) A hike around Glentenassig Woods and lake in Castlegregory
    2) Take the steps up Torc Waterfall, Killarney
    3) If the sun is out, spend a few hours in Coomeenole Beach near Slea Head (I always feel like I'm on some Greek island beach when I'm there!)
    4) If you are a surfing fan, try the waves on the west beach in Castlegregory
    5) Enjoy a few pints of Guinness in Ashes of Camp (only place I drink Guinness!)
    6) The Ring of Kerry - I know it's an obvious one but is there any 100 mile stretch of drive in the country that captures so much beauty and scenery in one trip?
    7) Afternoon tea in The Old Great Southern Hotel in Killarney (now the Malton). Great place to just switch off and relax for a couple of hours on their really comfy sofas.
    8) Drive to Dingle via the Conor Pass, take in the views and then do a crawl of the legendary pubs in Dingle (ensure you are not the designated driver!)
    9) Visit Ballyheigue beach and walk to the Blackrock when the tide is out (you feel like you have the world to yourself as you get nearer to the rock!)
    10) You've got to eat so a few of my food recommendations (Jam in either Tralee, Killarney or Kenmare for fantastic freshly lunch type meals, The Cookery and Finnegans in Tralee, The Laurels in Killarney for great pub grub, Allo's in Listowel and the Tankard near Fenit among my favourites).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A visit to Spar - one of the top 10 things to do in Kerry??:confused::confused::confused::)

ongarboy wrote: »
    A visit to Spar - one of the top 10 things to do in Kerry??:confused::confused::confused::)

To buy an ice cream for 4 kids under 7 - yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

WTF??? :D

Come to Ashes in Camp!

Aaahh I meant burger!!

I go to Ashes quite a bit...Tadgh Ógs in Castle is the finest pint around....and seen as its friday!

Advertisement