Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Meteor Roaming like?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

After yet another horrendous experience with O2 I need a new network, had settled on the Meteor €25 plan (200 mins, texts, 1 GB data) but I've seen a few references here to meteor's roaming, what is it like?

I go abroad regularly and need reliable roaming in most European countries.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

add on telly says no roaming charge anywhere in Europe .... that being said be careful with the data charges. I have heard stories of people using data and ending up with 50,000 euro plus bills on data charges while on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Have you considered getting a domestic sim card in the country that you're visiting?

I suggested this to a VF customer before and he got one:
    When I'm abroad, I always find it makes much more sense to get a domestic sim card. In Spain I got a pay as you go SIM card for €9, came with €9 credit in it, and then I can use the internet for just 99c a day abroad (or less depending on the operator). Even for making and receiving calls and texts I think it's cheaper?

Even if you're only in a foreign country for a few days and you want to use the internet on your phone a lot, it makes sense to get a domestic SIM card (usually free or maybe a tenner depending on the country).

If you go to a certain country regularly, it's an absolute no-brainer.
    What would cost you €5 on data in Ireland would cost €1,500 roaming abroad with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a domestic sim card in the country that you're visiting?

I suggested this to a VF customer before and he got one:

Yeah I do that if I'm away for more than two weeks at a time but not for just weekends away e.g. this year 7 trips abroad this year so far but only one for more than 7 days, it's usually just 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

popsmar wrote: »
    add on telly says no roaming charge anywhere in Europe .... that being said be careful with the data charges. I have heard stories of people using data and ending up with 50,000 euro plus bills on data charges while on holiday.

That is scary, but I got nailed like that by O2 before, thay have very kindly agreed to repay the overcharging so I keep usage to an absolute minimum abroad. It's just too expensive, if I can't find an internet cafe and its not an emergency it can wait. I just want to be contactable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Meteor voice roaming in the UK is ok, just make sure you are connected to T-Mobile. Meteor roaming data is so expensive as to be unusable tho. I switched to Vodafone because of this, will see how it compares.

• Advertisement
Advertisement