Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New beech hedging turning brown already on some plants??

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Planted new beech hedge in early March and were delighted to see the trees turn green and bud over the last few weeks. However,many of these plants are starting to have brown leaves so soon again..i gave them a watering this evening,didnt do it for the past 3/4 weeks with all the rain,would this have caused the problem? looking for advice please

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

phkk wrote: »
    Planted new beech hedge in early March and were delighted to see the trees turn green and bud over the last few weeks. However,many of these plants are starting to have brown leaves so soon again..i gave them a watering this evening,didnt do it for the past 3/4 weeks with all the rain,would this have caused the problem? looking for advice please

If its bareroot that you planted,you should be watering the hedge at least every 2 days.And I dont mean a little sprinkle of water,a propper good watering so that the roots get the water down there.

I recently planted a load of 4 foot high bareroot hornbeam and I water them every 2nd day,whether its raining or not.

Needless to say that they are absolutely flying.:)

It also helps to mix in lots of compost,manure and fertilizer pellets when planting the bareroots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah, certainly following the rather fine and dry period we had , your hedge would need watering every second day. Also you have very windy drying weather at present which doesn't help. Water well and maybe mulch with grass cuttings or similar to keep in the moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree with those above. Loads of water, even if it is raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Also the windy weather has caused brown leaves on just about every tree around here. Nothing you can do but wait for a second flush of leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Thanks for all the advice,sounds like I've neglected them with water,I thought that the rain would be sufficient but on reflection,you're all correct.thanks guys..p.s they were 4foot bare root plants, is there anything else I could feed them as we didn't mix fertiliser/pellets at time of planting??

• Advertisement
Advertisement