Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone drank in The Players Lounge, Fairview ?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Heard about this place in dispatches a lot, not all of it good, just wondering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kip, stay out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in it once, in may 2010. ill just say that i wouldnt go back for all the tea in china

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

always wondered what attracts folk to these types of pubs apart from the protagonists of the hassle that happens in them, especially when they're ****e.

give me a nice, safe night indoors over a ****e boozer full of dickheads any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good spot. One of the few spots that welcome ex-pat Linfield supporters down here. They'll sort you out with a discount if you wear your colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Been twice, once for a Shels End Of Season Party and once after Shels won the Leinster Senior Cup last year (that was merely a stop off between Fairview DART Station and the bar in Tolka. Wasn't any bother either night, few shaddy characters mind you on the 2nd time there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Fair bit of bother there over the years. It used to be owned by drug dealers I think. Three lads were shot at there 2 years back and one was killed from what I remember. It's a fairly dodgy spot to be fair. I would usually say if you're not looking for trouble you won't find it but two of the men who were shot were innocent customers and the other was an innocent doorman (apparently, there were some rumours about him but nothing ever concrete, could just be slander). It actually isn't the worst spot inside, especially for football fans. 90% of the time it's grand but 10% of the time it's pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Here's the owner up in court recently for threatening another pub owner:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0514/pub.html

Lovely lads altogether I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The present owner has admitted being a member of the 32CSM so unless you want your money financing this group of dead end republicans stay out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's a nice pub ruined by a shíte regular crowd (mostly scumbags) and all the crap surrounding it. As mentioned there was a drive-by on it a year ago, it was recently raided where they found cocaine and gun ammunition. The owner has ties to Republicans and he's in the 32CSM, the political wing of the RIRA. That would have pretty wary of where my money's going and who's drinking there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

only ever used the jacks in it during the summer after dublin games and wouldnt be to keen to stop for a pint in it. Try meaghers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I have only been in it once it was last year but i must say i found it alright!

Not being from Dublin i'd be weary of Dublin pubs but i was meeting a few mates there!

I found it a very welcoming pub even though there was a few dodgey characters about it nice clean lively pub id say it would be great to watch a celtic game in

gaffneys around the corner is a far superior pub. fantastic pint of guinness too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

There was a shooting there before it was the Players Lounge (about 5 years ago a chap called O'Driscoll was shot and ended up in wheelchair).

Has been a dump ever after Kelly's sold it (beforehand it was a quiet enough pub as the owners were fussy and didn't serve the lads who now drink their).

+1 to Gaffneys, a super pint of Guinness in a real pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ye Gaffneys or Smyths just a small bit up the road are much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd only advise going there if you were going to a match in Croker soon afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

was there during the year on a weekday evening for a quiet pint with a friend, place was fairly quiet but i could imagine it attracts a few rough characters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I lived across the road from it, went in a few times with a friend who has a English accent, never any bother at all. Had a few good nights in there actually. Brilliant for watching the football there's about eighty screens in the place.

the players lounge meme:

hate the brits

screen premier league

Advertisement