Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long a leader for salmon

Options
  • 25-05-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

how long of a leader do you use for fly fishing for salmon. i have a 15 foot double hand rod and a 10 foot single hand rod would you use a different size leader for the differend rod i was watching a man fishing and i asked him how long a leader he was useing and he sead 5 foot i think this was very short becous i use double that trout fishing

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sunk link, sinking tip I have about 10' of leader. Basically it is a lightweight spinning setup, using flies.

Floating line, plus 1' to 1 1/2' collar of heavy mono, and then about 12'-14' of leader, with two droppers and a tail fly.

In my case the leader length is to manage the depth each fly fishes to a degree of exactness, and offer the fish alternatives to choose from in this.
    The tail fly also steadies and drags sufficiently that I can dibble the top dropper directly across on a short line and offer a different presentation to the down and across style every 3rd or 4th cast.
    The middle fly fishes like the tail, but a little higher, closer to the surface mirror and is a size alternative from the tail fly for the fish to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

What type of leader would you fish in a spate river coolwings? I mean a place that the pools are no more than 5 yards wide/long but there are grilse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I prefer a short leader, maybe 5-8 foot of mono, I prefer to use the fly line or a polyleader set the depth the fly is fishing at. Most of the lads fishing the Galway Weir fish a short leader, the water is gin clear there, and the fish don't seem to mind...
    The rivers I fish I don't fish droppers, learned that lesson the hard way! Nothing like losing a good fish because your dropper got snagged to persuade you one fly is the way to go :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

10foot 4 salmon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SeaFields wrote: »
    What type of leader would you fish in a spate river coolwings? I mean a place that the pools are no more than 5 yards wide/long but there are grilse there.

Probably a floater, a 18" collar of sinking braid, to a 5' - 6' leader, one fly a double or treble on the short leader. I would have a removeable dropper for dibbling a bushy fly across pools with fast central spinal streams. It just ain't fished until you've fished it at least two different ways.

On the droppers, I should mention the droppers always are single hooks, double/treble on the tail position and being light the droppers trail downstream from a fish in midwater during play and are well out of the way of rocky bottom related trouble.
    But it is not possible to use this trick in weedy sections of a river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

I usually use the length of the rod so my 10 foot 6 inch rod has a 10 foot 6 inch leader for sea trout that is a single dropper in the middle of the leader. When I was younger and I fished an 8 foot rod I used an 8 foot leader. Just the way I do it and I have found it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

They saw your leader should be two thirds the length of your rod

Advertisement