Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Repeating ...Again

• 25-05-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

I was just wondering what courses/options are out there if you fall short on points or grades, without having to repeat again

The last few weeks have been really really tough, my mam recently passed away suddenly, and Im devastated

I am currently repeating, study is'nt going well, as im sure you all would understand

Id wouldlove to study Science at ucd, (435 points and a b3 in ol maths),but i don't think i will achieve those kind of points at this stage ......so I'll probably end up doing Arts instead (365)

But I dont think arts is my dream course as Science would be

So does anyone have any advice of getting into college courses a different way, say a plc course for example

I would appreciate any help

Stu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Hey studunne,

So sorry to hear about your mum, and hope your doing ok.

First thing I will say is don't underestimate yourself! You never know what will happen on the day.

I don't know much about plc courses but I found this site really good for seeing what courses were around for myself.

http://www.careersportal.ie/members/auth/courses/cao_wizard.php

You can narrow the serch in it to Dublin; lenister etc.
    There might be something you might find good.

Hope you find it helpful ...... And good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If science is really what you want to do don't in doing arts you'll probably hate it.
    There is usually non-direct ways in to degree's by doing a diploma or cert first and they don't even necessarily take longer.
    I know someone who did the diploma in science in ucd as didn't get the points for degree. He then went on to do degree by getting decent grades, and went on to do a phd, so its possible alright.
    Check with your career guidance counsellor, thats what they are there for. Or even ring up the college and ask them about transferring fro one to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Hi Stu, I'm so so sorry to hear about that :( I hope you remain positive no matter how difficult it may be and don't forget you're never alone.

What I'd say first is that I hope you get through this difficult period and I hope to God you get whatever course you want. If you don't there are always other choices. I'm not 100% sure about the situation with plc courses but I do know that GTI (galway technical institute) is holding it's second round of interviews in August and the closing date for applicants is late august. heres a link http://www.gti.ie/node/14
    They offer one year courses at the end of which you can enter certain nui course as far as I know. I'm positive that there are more of these places outside of gti around the country but I just don't know where!! I'll try and find them though.

Hope you feel better :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Why don't you apply to Science in other universities and ITs if you have your heart set on it? :)

Science in NUIM is 365 points!
    In NUIG it's 350 points
    In UL it's 360 points

I know it's not ideal to have to choose a different college, but if you've your heart set on it, I'm sure it'd be worth it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Agree with the above poster. NUIG is a great place too,unless of course you're choosing UCD because you wish to stay in Dublin because you're from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement