Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to talk about UFOs?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

I have an interest in this area and a while back I started reading up on it etc and I decided that I would start a few threads and contribute to some discussions on boards... But where should I do it I asked myself?

I looked for a Ufology forum and couldn't find one. I settled on the conspiracy theory forum instead. Then I discovered there is UFO talk on the paranormal forum too.

Ufology doesn't fit either forum imo.

UFOs aren't really paranormal, in all cases they can be scientifically explained (even if they are little green men from planet x!). UFOs aren't really a conspiracy theory either(how is discussing whether or not a picture is a UFO or a bird a conspiracy?) of course there is overlap.

The big issue is the one I had... Where should I post about it? Anyone who wants to post about it would probably face the same dilemma as myself(I didn't even think to look in paranormal in the beginning as I assumed it was just ghosts, I imagine most folks would think the same). My attention was then brought to this forum: Boardean Times which seems the most suitable place to discuss these things as Ufology is specifically mentioned in the charter;
    What is welcome in this forum in terms of content? Quite a bit I should think. Cryptozoology, Ufology, fringe and not so fringe science.

Now I think it is fair to say that that forum is pretty dead.(only 25 threads) I don't think I am too far off the mark in saying that the name is a bit cack and does little to explain what the forum is for.

Now its obvious that Ufology is a fairly popular subject on the internet. And on boards too. But discussion is split between those two forums I mentioned earlier. There is confusion over were to post.

I propose that the "Boardean Times" forum is renamed and relaunched as the Ufology forum. It could then serve as a place were discussion can be concentrated and people will know were to post all stuff alien. I think it would be pretty popular and would use what is pretty much dead space. Seen as the forum is pretty much already intended to discuss UFOs not much would really have to change except the name.

Thoughts? I hope I put this in the right place!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UFO's aren't exactly facts either so conspiracy theory does actually fit pretty well the same as if you wanted to talk about Yeti's etc.

So if somebody wants to talk about men in black suits and UFO's your saying its not a conspiracy theory? :confused:

As for renaming a forum, it might be a good idea to first pass this by the users in this forum and perhaps the mods before creating a feedback thread.

imho to rename Boardean Times to Ufology seems strange given a quick look at the forum shows that very few threads if any are about UFO's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe amalgamate all such stuff, CT's cryptozoology, UFO's paranormal into one forum? Seems a bit spread out thin as it is. Boardean times would be the obvious place to amalgamate into?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe amalgamate all such stuff, CT's cryptozoology, UFO's paranormal into one forum? Seems a bit spread out thin as it is. Boardean times would be the obvious place to amalgamate into?

Boardean Times is to vague, a lot of people wouldn't know what that means.If there were people browsing boards looking for a CT forum, how on earth would they link that with "boardean Times",it's not a phrase associated with CT.CT should stay CT, as it's a huge subject, maybe a sub forum within CT for UFO's and Cryptozoology.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It all sounds like paranormal to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The forum should be called Delicious Fruitcakes.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah you are right, but Boardean times is a pretty terrible name.

As far as I can see Boardean times is the forum which best suits UFO stuff, but if you see that name on your homepage would it leap to mind that that was the place to put that type of thing? Not for me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Not a bad idea.

Maybe just rename it as the Unsolved Mysteries forum? That way it can include all that stuff that overlaps and doesn't quite fit into paranormal or CT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Had never clicked on Bordean Times before this thread even though I'd seen it tons of times. Honestly thought it was a Boards period style drama group or something. "Weird and Wonder-some" might be a better name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Boardean Times is a play on words of Fortean Times.. a magazine about weird stuff

yekahS wrote: »
    Not a bad idea.

Maybe just rename it as the Unsolved Mysteries forum? That way it can include all that stuff that overlaps and doesn't quite fit into paranormal or CT.
    The problem with the name as it stands imo is that it is not specific enough.

Perhaps renaming it the Ufology and Cryptozoology forum would be best?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You know, I didn't realise what Boardean Times was, even though I remember the thread requesting it.

Best bet would be a pm to the mod asking for their input on this thread?

Silverfish wrote: »
    You know, I didn't realise what Boardean Times was, even though I remember the thread requesting it.

Best bet would be a pm to the mod asking for their input on this thread?
    I sent a PM there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thanks for the heads up Wolfe Tone!

I do think that the Boardean Times forum would be the best location for the UFO discussion, but I do see your point that the name of the forum may not be the most intuitive unless you're already familiar with the Fortean Times, and make the link between them.
    To that end, I'd be open to suggestions for a new name for the forum, but I would struggle personally to come up with one as fitting as Boardean Times.

If anyone has any suggestions for a new name, just let me know. I'll open a thread in the Boardean times forum for this, see what the members that do check and use the forum think about it, and will put the suggestions into a poll.

Advertisement