Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the legal view point on hearphones

• 26-05-2011 8:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

When I go for a run I normally pop in the headphones and get some tunes blaring.

Can you do this while cycling? I would only have one earpiece in, it would be my phone I'd be using so I can be contacted/make contact if needs be.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

well i know lots of peeps that just have them in for music tho personly i think its a bad idia as its harder to hear the cars around you,

However as i know it but im not in any law type job mind you - is that the traffic law overall looks at the sight less then hearing tho there is the case where one needs to hear a sire! There for a garda should not pull over a someone cycling cos they have a earpice in there ears and so there for should not know in ur case its a mob.earpice if you follow

also it is a form a harnds free unit so other reasion its ok ,

and lastly and most importly the garda use them and they are "not" above the law so there for if its ok for them its ok for u in this case, in caps as i think its is the most important point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said, it's legal.

My personal opinion is that music at a low volume on a bike still lets you hear far more than driving a car with no music on.
    In my personal experience, I notice no difference in my ability to hear or react to things whether earphones are on or off, unless I've accidentally turned them up too loud (which I sometimes do when out at the weekend).

When connected to your phone, having a remote is more important than whether you should or shouldn't wear them. You shouldn't need to be fumbling in your pockets to answer a call or turn off the sound.

As tomasrojo says, it's a contentious topic. Some say, "It's fine", some say "never".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I had to cycle home without earphones the other day as I ran out of juice on my iphone. The loudness of the traffic around me actually made it way more nerve wracking than usual.

Years of conditioning I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'd cycle with the headphones in my left ear only.

That way you can still hear traqffic on your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyob

I use one of these sometimes when out mountain biking. You get to hear the full stereo sound (but one ear only). Very handy for hearing traffic on the road or riders coming behind you on the trails. Decent enough quality sound too, and no issues with it falling out.

http://www.scansound.com/single-stereo-earbud.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I guy I was in school with got doored while cycling with headphones in. The bud sheared while in his ear and basically turned into a rotary blade as he face panted the ground. His inner ear was mangled. But he's okay now, so I'm sure its fine to wear them.

It was a gruesome sight though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

paddyob wrote: »
    I use one of these sometimes when out mountain biking. You get to hear the full stereo sound (but one ear only). Very handy for hearing traffic on the road or riders coming behind you on the trails. Decent enough quality sound too, and no issues with it falling out.

Cool, I'm gonna buy two of these. One for each ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I guy I was in school with got doored while cycling with headphones in. The bud sheared while in his rear and basically turned into a rotary blade as he face panted the ground

Er... I find you get a bit more volume if you wear them the traditional way, but each to their own I guess... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

droidus wrote: »
    Er... I find you get a bit more volume if you wear them the traditional way, but each to their own I guess... :D

If they've good bass it goes right up the spine into the skull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Sharpe88

I'd usually have music on when I'm cycling. Forgot the headphones last week and the cycle home seemed a LOT longer. Even use them when on the MTB, keeps me from going mad while on the ups. But as to whether its legal or not I have never even thought about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Whitehawk wrote: »
    well i know lots of peeps that just have them in for music tho personly i think its a bad idia as its harder to hear the cars around you,

However as i know it but im not in any law type job mind you - is that the traffic law overall looks at the sight less then hearing tho there is the case where one needs to hear a sire! There for a garda should not pull over a someone cycling cos they have a earpice in there ears and so there for should not know in ur case its a mob.earpice if you follow

also it is a form a harnds free unit so other reasion its ok ,

and lastly and most importly the garda use them and they are "not" above the law so there for if its ok for them its ok for u in this case, in caps as i think its is the most important point!
    :eek::eek:WTF!!:eek::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats not strictly true, they get exemptions to some laws

Rew wrote: »
    Thats not strictly true, they get exemptions to some laws
    they do but not when it comes to safty as far as i know!

paddyob wrote: »

this is cool im deffo going to look in to one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Legal but bloody dangerous!

I use these. The very short lead is the perfect length to reach my arm strap and I'm not really one for wanting to let the noise of traffic etc. disturb me when listening to the radio, music etc.

Lemag wrote: »
    I use these. The very short lead is the perfect length to reach my arm strap and I'm not really one for wanting to let the noise of traffic etc. disturb me when listening to the radio, music etc.
    sennheiser stuff is v.good but over all its v.expensice personly if i was to get anything with name sennheiser on it id be looking for last years stock that would have some % of da price!

they do but not when it comes to safty as far as i know!

No, for example there is no legal requirement for them to wear seat belts for example.

Rew wrote: »
    No, for example there is no legal requirement for them to wear seat belts for example.
    sry that was a typo i ment to say safty to other people (the public etc)
    i know there is something where over all they dont really have to follow the Road Traffic laws and so on but they also must make sure they dont indanger AKA they should not drive and talk on a phone - they should not drive at a speed that could mean them loseing control of car - aka they can drive as fast as they want but if **** hits the fan and they hit some they can be found in the wrong as this traffic law dose aplie to them, same as if they are driving and on the phone and are unlucky to hit someone they are also in the wrong, if they are in a accedent and fly though the window and die though its ok as yes they dont have ot ware the seat belt there insurcane will still cover them!

• Advertisement

sry that was a typo i ment to say safty to other people (the public etc)
    i know there is something where over all they dont really have to follow the Road Traffic laws and so on but they also must make sure they dont indanger AKA they should not drive and talk on a phone - they should not drive at a speed that could mean them loseing control of car - aka they can drive as fast as they want but if **** hits the fan and they hit some they can be found in the wrong as this traffic law dose aplie to them, same as if they are driving and on the phone and are unlucky to hit someone they are also in the wrong, if they are in a accedent and fly though the window and die though its ok as yes they dont have ot ware the seat belt there insurcane will still cover them!
    Good points. You'll have a fair amount of deciphering to do there Rew before you carefully construct you counter arguments :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

garda use them and they are "not" above the law so there for if its ok for them its ok for u in this case

I wouldn't go around appying this philosophy to anything if I were you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I think this is a myth, legally Gards can be on the mobile while driving which would be a danger o the public ... an we still cant do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I think this is a myth, legally Gards can be on the mobile while driving which would be a danger o the public ... an we still cant do the same

They are exempt from many/most Road Traffic Acts provision while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

They are exempt from many/most Road Traffic Acts provision while driving.
    Yup. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0027.html
    Requirements under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 to 2004 relating to vehicles and requirements, restrictions and prohibitions relating to the driving and use of vehicles, other than those provided under sections 49 and 50 (inserted by sections 10 and 11, respectively, of the Act of 1994), 51A and 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50, respectively, of the Act of 1968) and 53 of the Principal Act and sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Act of 1994, do not apply to a driver of a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or the use by a member of the Garda Síochána of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member or a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána, where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.

Guess who gets to decide whether such use endangers the safety of road users?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guess who gets to decide whether such use endangers the safety of road users?

My guess is ultimately it's the Courts (althogh whether it ever gets that far is another matter;))

Its written that way to be allow them to blue light it but to be screwed if it goes horribly wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its seems its not dangerous if a Garda does it. Which isn't very logical. But there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't wear earphones on the bike. Even then you can't hear much with wind noise, and hearing stuff behind is always seems to be much harder even when stopped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement