Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teen fights on major shows Debate

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I would think that the responsibility of a teen fighters readiness for a 'major' show is down to their coach.

As for a teen fighting a senior... even if they both the same weight I feel it depends upon the age difference, I could understand a year or 18 months difference but not anymore than that and again the responsibility should be on the shoulders of the coach.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Who is suggesting, promoting or allowing teen vs adult matchups? Is this a fictional strawman or something which is happening?

Everyone seems to be agreed that its not on so I'm confused who (if anyone) is promoting it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

It's barry's birthday today i think he should get a free pass to say what ever he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It's barry's birthday today i think he should get a free pass to say what ever he wants

Boards and possibly the internet would explode so let's just stick to the happy birthdays!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

It's not my birthday anymore but I'll explain my position anyway.

Here's what I think is happening:
    - There are too many shows battling with each other for the same limited amount of fighters. ALL of these shows are put on for monetary gain, though some would say that they are "grassroots" and as such moneys earned filter back down to the fighters much more than the larger shows. I actually think that this is more or less irrelevant in the context of duty of care. Big or little, you charge money at the door which makes it an enterprise no matter how minor.

- Due to the limited pool of fighters and the huge amount of shows, I believe that rather than "giving youth a chance", "youth" is actually being used to pad out fight cards. This sells tickets, so essentially kids who are not old enough to vote, have a job or drink a beer are being asked to sell tickets and make money for these shows. I think this is wrong.

Before anyone jumps down my throat- I don't think anyone does this on purpose. I don't think promoters sit in a swivel chair with a white cat wondering which child they'll traumatise next. I just think it's not considered.

Now I'm not a member of the Joe Duffy Brigade, and I'm actually quite liberal when it comes to the majority of things, but having worked with kids for a decade now in several sports, I can tell you what I've seen working, and for the vast majority of kids, slow introduction to competition and pressure is the optimum way of ensuring that they mature as athletes and as people. It gives them a greater opportunity to showcase their skills and to build confidence in what they've learned.

Comparisons with most other sports are horsepuckey. Your GAA final that was played in croker or your run in Santry Stadium was after you'd played hundreds of matches, thousands of minutes in local parks, on grass tracks and in front of a few Mams and Dads and some lad walking his dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Some good points alright Barry.
    Would you suggest teens just train or that they train and compete in the arts seperately. Sub wrestling/bjj/amature kickboxing(they're on an open mat right?)
    Im not really a fan of teens on the show either because every teen that has been to a show theyre immediate thought is that they wanna get in the cage regardless of how much experience they have. Saying that there are a few out there who do have the experience and abilities to be on these shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

DeVore wrote: »
    Who is suggesting, promoting or allowing teen vs adult matchups? Is this a fictional strawman or something which is happening?

Everyone seems to be agreed that its not on so I'm confused who (if anyone) is promoting it.

DeV.

This is currently happening in Irish MMA.

Be under no illusion the final buck stops with the event promoter. I have heard the argument from one promoter that the juniors dad had signed a slip to say that he was happy for it to go ahead, if something goes wrong this will not hold water, period.

The easy way to stop it is for the promoter to make the proper call or for the Ref to say he won't ref a junior v adult match up.

Also im not being a c-unit but who exactly are you talking about here? Who will slap a banned sticker on an event?
    Who is looking for an excuse? How do you know "they" are infact looking?
    Like i said im genuinely curious to know who "They" are and what power they actually have to stop you. So please dont think im mixing.

I see the answer to this one being quite simple:

If there was bad publicity it is very easy to ban an event. The council in the area where the event is being held will just start to implement and be sticky with the licensing laws. All events that are held where the public can come and watch fall under these laws, if in a place with a bar they can use the licencing laws and if there is no bar the will use Health and Safety Executive laws. The event does not need to be on council property for the HSE to stop it.

They will come to the event and look at things like:
    • Are there X licensed security guards per 100 people
    • Is there a minimum 0.6m leg room for each seat
    • Are all walk ways and gaps a minimum of 1.5
    • Have they been given detailed risk plans

Now that is only 4 items that I know most smaller shows could get pulled up on (I'm not getting at the other promoters, I am just pointing out the law as it stands currently). There are many other little ones like the list above that could be used to ban an event (issue a prohibition notice)

I don't think anyone does this on purpose. I don't think promoters sit in a swivel chair with a white cat wondering which child they'll traumatise next.

I'm off to Viking direct for a new chair and will be stopping at the pet shop for a moggie on the way home

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If minor versus adult matchups are part of any promoters line up, I'd like to know. I dont want them using Boards as a platform to promote such an event. I dont know who that is... and I don't care.

DeV.

• Advertisement

If minor versus adult matchups are part of any promoters line up, I'd like to know. I dont want them using Boards as a platform to promote such an event. I dont know who that is... and I don't care.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Its worth noting that in Senior Boxing and pro boxing you can start competing at 17, personally thats the age i see as been considered of age if there mature enough and good enough, Never been an issue with that and if there was believe me the Boxing would not allow it.

ps, i could be wrong but i think same applies in most combat sports.

Kids v Adults is just wrong and i would be very strict on matching my teens with others, usually i'd work off 2 yr gaps max.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

The easy way to stop it is for the promoter to make the proper call or for the Ref to say he won't ref a junior v adult match

QUOTE]

ok...I wont ref a junior v senior match up.
    before anyone says anything,I did once but I had no idea what was going on until both guys where in the ring.I brought the matter up on the night and will not be put in the same position again.

weemate wrote: »

The easy way to stop it is for the promoter to make the proper call or for the Ref to say he won't ref a junior v adult match

QUOTE]

ok...I wont ref a junior v senior match up.
    before anyone says anything,I did once but I had no idea what was going on until both guys where in the ring.I brought the matter up on the night and will not be put in the same position again.

That is a position that a ref should never find himself in. The duty is with the promoter and nobody else. Refs have enough to do without running about checking birth certificates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I do agree that it is the promoters who will foot the blame.

It would help if coaches mentioned that fighters are under 18.

Advertisement