Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i borrow a baby pig/piglet for a day?

• 26-05-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi There,

I am looking for someone who lend me Baby Pig to bring to my home for a day only.

my son is obsessed with Pigs...his birthday is soon so it will make his day to be able to pet a baby Pig

we are animals lovers so i will takecare of it for a day

Do you know where can i find a person who is willing to lend me a baby pig/piglet for a day?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I think you shoudl educate you son on the fact that animals are not toys. even for a day, it's wrong to take in an animal and send it back to wherever it comes from.
    Your son might think animals are disposable, easy come, easy go.
    a pet is for life, not just for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Why not check out local pet farms and see if they have piglets. That way your son can see and pet the animal, and the piglet is less stressed when it is it's usual environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

falabo wrote: »
    I think you shoudl educate you son on the fact that animals are not toys. even for a day, it's wrong to take in an animal and send it back to wherever it comes from.

OP asked for advice, not a lecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This reminds me actually exactly of a book I had when I was quite young;
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/555179.Emmett_s_Pig

Basic story is the kid is obsessed with pigs and asks his parents if he can get one. But of course not, because they live in a city.
    So when his birthday approaches, his parents drive him out to the country where they meet a farmer who has a piglet. He's told that the piglet is the boy's piglet and he spends on the whole day playing with him. But he's told that pigs live on farms, so the pig has to stay there, but the boy can come and visit him any time he wants.

I always loved it, but I think it could actually be a good idea for what you can do. Maybe even just find a local rescue organisation who have pigs (I know the DSPCA have a couple), or a farmer who doesn't breed pigs for slaughter and see if you can set something like this up.
    I really think a one-on-one with a piglet in a rural environment would be much more enjoyable (for all involved), than the piglet running around a back garden with 20 screaming kids chasing after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Your SON, right . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

spider-pig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 luck11

falabo wrote: »

Agreed with your opinion: animals are not toys. but i don't see anything wrong to make my son happy with a real thing and he can pet it for a single day.
    I have a Dog , a fish and i don't have more as i live in the city but don't worry we are not people that harm animals or so

thanks for your concers with animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's still a pretty big ask that someone is going to give you a piglet for a day.

Much better, as suggested above, would be to make a day out of it and take your son to see a piglet, either on a farm, rescue or possibly a petting zoo that have piglets.

However, mirco / teacup pigs were a big craze a while back (and still are?), these are pigs kept as domestic pets. You might try someone like http://www.micropigfarm.ie and see if they would lend you one (doubtful?) or put you in touch with an owner who might. They also might allow a 30 minute visit to the pigs if you explained the situation and asked nicely!

Either way, if it's a piglet bred for a farm it's unlikely someone would give you one for a day, or the other side it's taking someone's family pet for a day, neither seems hugely likely, but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Are you sure your son will react well to a pig close up? and you won't end up going to a huge amount of trouble tracking one down, collecting and returning a pig half way across the country, for your son to react badly to it close up and it end up crated in the garden all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

luck11 wrote: »
    Agreed with your opinion: animals are not toys. but i don't see anything wrong to make my son happy with a real thing and he can pet it for a single day.
    I have a Dog , a fish and i don't have more as i live in the city but don't worry we are not people that harm animals or so

thanks for your concers with animals.

Honestly I don't think anyone will 'loan' you a piglet for a day. Agree wit the poster above that it would be a great idea to check out any open pet farms in your area that you could visit with your sone on his bithday where he could meet and pet some piglets and learn about other farmyard animals too.
    Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Loving the idea of you cleaning up pig poop off your kitchen floor, and off the kids.
    Honestly, bring him to a pet farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you have animals of your own then you know that new situations and new environments can make them uneasy. Think about it, piglet is rooting about minding his own buisness in his pen next thing he's taken in a car to a house and handled by people he doesn't know your son could easily get bitten and pig very stressed.

Why not take him to an open farm instead, most have pigs there what about Glenroe open farm, it's easy to get to if you are in the Dub. area. You can make a whole day of it, you could always have a party at home later and take him on his own or take a few buddies with him and have a picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you ever actually held a piglet? Have you heard them scream? If you have neighbours closeby they will not be appreciative of a screaming piglet because I think the nearest thing I can compare them to is a screaming banshee! :D

Im not sure at what age they stop screaming at but Iv held 2 piglets, one from a litter born in a petting farm sort of thing (they were about 1-3 weeks old I think) and another was in a piggery and the piglet was much younger and by god did both of them scream until flipped upside down.

If your near Donegal there is Lurgybrack farm in Letterkenny that has pigs (5 + a litter of piglets last time I was there), lovely set up for kids with a playground (also tested by group of college students :D) and good mixture of animals.

What age is your son? Ye may not intentially go out to harm the piglet but you have to think about how stressed the piglet will be being taken from it's siblings, and if it's come from a farm environment it's going to be major stressed coming straight into a home environment just for the sake of 1 day.
    I second the idea of a petting farm/zoo, would he not prefer seeing loads of different animals (ring around and you might find one with piglets that he can hold and pet) and making a day of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I have to be honest i thought this was a wind-up when i read it this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Pigs, regardless of breed, must be registered with the DVO and movement of pigs is included in that as well.
    Only persons registered with the Department and issued with valid pig herd numbers are allowed to own or trade in pigs. This provision applies to anyone who wishes to own pigs, however few.

Movements of pigs MUST be ok'd by the DVO with the relevant forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Another parent pandering to a child.

Advertisement