Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearest access point to the Royal Canal Near Ongar for Cycling from Ongar to City

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I want to go for a cycle this Weekend from Ongar to Drumcondra. I was looking for the nearest point to get onto the canal towpath around Ongar. I believe it would be Coolmine, but i drove about looking but i couldnt actually find a way to get onto the canal path with my bike. Is there a secret gap in the tree line? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Clonsilla train station on wards has a newly laid path or at the back roads to Lucan, but that a bit of around about trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ok ill have a nosey around Clonsilla train station thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Here's a pic of the entrance at Clonsilla. Pathway is a little rough until you get to Castleknock.

Ah lovely sure i know this place well, i was looking up the back of clonsilla. Your very good, Now to get the wet gear woo here i come !

Cheers buddy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Cycled from Castleknock to Clonsilla recently - the path from Castleknock is very narrow in parts (if you meet someone you would have to get off the bike to let them pass) and quite uneven (roots etc). After Coolmine a new gravel path has been laid and is a much better.

Think you would need a proper mountain bike rather than a hybrid for the trip.

• Advertisement

kranbo wrote: »
    Cycled from Castleknock to Clonsilla recently - the path from Castleknock is very narrow in parts (if you meet someone you would have to get off the bike to let them pass) and quite uneven (roots etc). After Coolmine a new gravel path has been laid and is a much better.

Think you would need a proper mountain bike rather than a hybrid for the trip.

Walked a stretch about 2 years ago. I rememeber after ashtown to blanch it was basically a dirt track. I am surprised they dont put up a proper cycle lane/path way. ill say it to Leo Varadkar the next time he pops round:D

Advertisement