Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective 5.Human Geography

• 26-05-2011 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on what to cover for Human Geography?
    I'm kind of uncertain about that section of geography.
    I'm getting worried as it's not long away now.
    Thanks=)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

Urban Problems is on every year.
    Also, I'm going to learn:
    One Cause and One Effect of Overpopulation
    Three functions of a town/city - Residential, Commercial etc. You just look at the photo, say theres a housing estate there at right foreground or whatever and waffle a bit. - not on for a few yrs
    Donor and Reciever Region - Poland and Ireland - 2008, i think
    Reason why a town developed at a location - around the same
    I think the Burgess Concentric Zone and Hoyt's Sector Models are worth a look over too. Not Central Place, that was on more recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

I type these out for revision too :)

Q. Examine one cause and one effect of overpopulation, with reference to an example you have studied.
    Cause: High birth rates
    Effect: Lack of food
    Examples:
    Sudan, part of the Sahel region in Africa
    Ethiopia
    Overpopulation occurs when there are not enough basic resources in an area to support the population. Basic resources include food, shelter, clean water, fuel and farmland.
    Cause: High birth rates
    -Overpopulation has occurred in Sudan because of high birth rates there. Birth rates in Sudan are 38/1000. It is in Stage 2 of the Population Cycle.
    -This means there is a large natural increase in the population that is putting a strain on existing resources, leading to overpopulation.
    -In Sudan women have low social status and do not have easy access to education. Due to the lack of education women have low literacy levels and this, combined with poor health services, has led to high fertility rates of more than 5 children per woman.
    -The Sudanese government has not been able to provide enough housing, education or employment opportunities for its rapidly growing population.
    -As a result, the Sudanese population is poor and has a low life expectancy of just 53yrs. These conditions are evidence of overpopulation in this region.
    Effect: Lack of food
    -Lack of food is an effect of overpopulation in Sudan. Across the Sahel in general, high birth and population growth have led to desertification and reduced food supplies.
    -Two thirds of the Sudanese population lives within 300km of the capital city and the signs of overpopulation are obvious in this region of Sudan.
    -The rising population depends on wood fuel for cooking and this has led to deforestation of the region.
    -Increasing numbers of people keep cattle and grow crops on the land. Population growth is leading to a rise in cattle numbers and over-cultivation of land. The cattle trample the soil and eat the grass cover that makes it less fertile and easily eroded by desert winds. This overgrazing has reduced food supplies.
    -Constant cultivation of land has lead to great damage to soil structure and fertility. Because wood is now scarce, cattle dung is burned as fuel. This deprives the soil of valuable nutrients and leads to increased soil erosion.
    -Over time the damaged soil is easily eroded and food production decreases leading to food shortages and famine. Overpopulation has occurred.

2006 Q. 12B
    [30 marks]

Q. Examine one impact of population movement on the donor regions and one impact on the receiver regions.
    -Poland is a donor region as many Polish people leave their country to find work elsewhere.
    -An impact of migration on donor countries is the loss of skilled workers from the population.
    -The loss of 2 million people from Poland since 2004 has had an important impact on the economy and society in Poland.
    -Skilled workers such as teachers and doctors have left the country in search of higher-paid work in other EU countries, especially Ireland and the UK.
    -This ‘brain drain’ of skilled workers from Poland means that there are labour shortages in Poland.
    -For example, in 2008 in Wroclaw, there was a shortage of 30,000 people needed to fill jobs on offer there.
    -From the late 1990s until 2009, Polish companies could not find skilled workers and could not expand.
    -This situation has also led to decreased tax revenue for the government.
    -Current uncertainty regarding the global economic situation means unemployment levels may drop in both donor and host countries.
    -In Europe, Ireland was a receiver region. Ireland gained over 83,000 migrants in 2008.
    -An impact of migration on receiver regions such as Ireland is the economic impact of the addition of workers to the labour force. Extra workers in the economy raise tax revenue for the government. They also provide a new market for goods and services for business.
    -In Ireland, many shops and restaurants have opened to cater for the Polish community here.
    There are Polish and Russian-language newspapers.
    -These new businesses contribute to the economy through payment of tax and by employing workers.
    -However, there are also economic disadvantages experiences by receiver regions as new migrants place an increased demand on services such as health and education.
    -These services are stretched and waiting times increase.
    The government then has to invest much more to improve the services, which diverts money from other areas like transport.

2007 Q. 12C
    [30 marks]

Urban Problems can be in the Developed (Dublin) or Developing (Rio) World cities.
    Developing was 2010 Question.

Answer for Dublin:

Q. The rapid pace of urban growth in the developed world carries many difficulties for both the urban area and its surrounding hinterland.

In this answer, the problems of traffic congestion and urban associated with the growth of Dublin will be discussed.
    Traffic Congestion
    -The growth of urban areas has led to an increase in the number of cars in urban area such as Dublin and Cork.
    -In Ireland, there are over 400 cars per 1000 people. Many of these are second cars for families.
    -Economic growth in Ireland has led to an increase in the number of heavy-goods vehicles on Irish roads delivering goods across the country.
    -These add to traffic congestion in cities especially near port areas such as Dublin port and Cork harbour.
    -Commuting is another cause of traffic congestion in growing urban areas.
    -In Ireland, public transport, while still being upgraded - Luas etc -, does not provide the service required by many people who take the car to work instead.
    -In Ireland, there are several strategies to reduce traffic congestion. In Dublin and Cork, traffic restrictions are in place preventing cards from entering certain areas.
    Urban Sprawl
    -Urban sprawl is the rapid spreading of housing from cities into the surrounding countryside.
    -Urban sprawl is a problem in all urban areas in Ireland, especially in Dublin and Cork cities where housing and industry spreading into ‘greenbelts’ in neighbouring counties.
    -Rural-to-urban migration has led to the growth of dormitory towns around the edges of cities.
    -This is due to cheaper housing and the availability of development land on the outskirts of the city. As a result, many small villages on the edges of large cities are swamped by residents who commute to work each day from these villages e.g. Enfield.
    -Dormitory towns have few services for their growing populations.
    Developing a sense of community is difficult when the majority of people spend long days commuting.
    -Dublin’s earliest urban sprawl was to the traditional dormitory towns of Greystones, Malahide, and Maynooth etc. During the ‘housing boom’ of the 1990s, housing spread to neighbouring counties. Towns such as Mullingar were drawn into an extended commuter belt.
    -Urban sprawl creates several specific problems for the rural areas it affects.
    -These include loss of valuable agricultural land, loss of wildlife habitats and loss of cultural identity.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck in the exams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Thanks a million you're a star!...
    That's really compacted it for me I honestly was so worried that I wouldn't be covering enough!
    And thanks for the notes, such a help!!
    Thanks again and good luck to you too!=)x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Geography is hard to predict because so much comes up but easy enough to cover. If you know half of human well and the other half to a point you could string together an essay, you'll more than likely pick up 60/80 marks available, it's a pretty easy area to pick up marks. I'd say get Sue Honan's book exam skills: Geography, it's 15 quid and gives you a short 30 mark example essay for every question that can come up. Covers all areas of the course, handy little yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Would anyone know where I could find a good Human interaction with the rock cycle - oil and gas exploration answer?

Help would be greatly appreciated as I can only find quarrying answers with the e-xamit paper!

Thanking you in advance! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

do you guys answer your questions in essay form or 15 srps like above?

RMD wrote: »
    Geography is hard to predict because so much comes up but easy enough to cover. If you know half of human well and the other half to a point you could string together an essay, you'll more than likely pick up 60/80 marks available, it's a pretty easy area to pick up marks. I'd say get Sue Honan's book exam skills: Geography, it's 15 quid and gives you a short 30 mark example essay for every question that can come up. Covers all areas of the course, handy little yoke.

Have it!=)

do you guys answer your questions in essay form or 15 srps like above?

15 srps
    It' easier for the examiner to see and recognise what you consider to be a point!
    It's easier for them to read also, so anything to keep them in a good mood!=)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

just thought i'd resurrect this thread a bit!
    How are you guys going about studying for the "identify" questions..
    e.g..
    Examine the photograph accompanying this paper and examine any three functions of the town,

Name + locate patterns of settlement and explain why each developed,

Explain three reasons why the town delevoped at this location.

and the historic settlement one a well.

I have no problem identifying them, but I find that I just end up waffling and not getting any SRPs for doing so, is there any key points that you could make for them, or something to concentrate on when answering them? Its such an easy question and guaranteed to come up in some form, so I don't want to have to avoid it!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

15 srps
    It' easier for the examiner to see and recognise what you consider to be a point!

We were told examiners REALLY don't like it if you do it in bullet points. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

i was told the same yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

15 srps
    You have to answer in essay-style to get full marks. You'll be docked if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

My teacher corrects geography every year and told us NEVER answer in bullet points, they HATE it!!!
    He said that they hate when students write in essay form and decide to mark their own paper too, even marking in marks for what you think is an SRP is not recommended.

One guy in my class copied out loads of answers, word for word from that exam skills book and very few achieved full marks. Dont worry too much though, I think my teacher marked our work ridiculously hard so we'll do well, hopefully it will stand to us:D

What I do is write a point per line...
    As in each point gets a new line I don't use bullet points...
    Is that acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Is that acceptable?

I'd say that's alright. I think they just don't like when people try and tell them what an srp is or how many marks they should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Is that acceptable?

As in new paragraphs per point? Little ones like?

That's what I do. :) That is fine.

Advertisement