Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras in Cork?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Want to take a look at new cameras (DSLR) this weekend but don't fancy traipsing into town and dealing with all the foofala. Anywhere on the outskirts where I can get my hands on the latest models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Outside the city there's not much, you'll have the likes of Harvey Normans, but they won't be up to date models. Even the shops in the city while selling the current models, are far more expensive than buying online. I'm all for supporting local businesses, even when there's up to 25% of a difference to support paying for a premises, staff, etc - but when it's so much of a difference it's hard to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh yeah, I don't plan on buying in town, just want to give them a heft for weight and comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

corblimey wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I don't plan on buying in town, just want to give them a heft for weight and comfort.

That's the great advantage of the Internet, you can't readily return things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

can't say I agree with this attitude. So you want to walk into a shop (that is paying rates, rent etc) and deal with an employee (who is being paid by the shop) to try out a few cameras with no intention of ever spending any money in said shop?

Now I know you are totally free to do this and every day people do it, whether it's trying on clothes and eventually maybe buying the item in another shop but my point is you are not intending in putting money into the local economy but you want to take from the services supported by such an economy?

tis a rant I know but it's not the decent thing to do.

Anyway, as already said, there isn't much going on outside of the city, Harvey Norman's are sh*t by the way, their staff are dopes when it comes to product knowledge.

If you want a good SLR get the Nikon D90 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

gbee wrote: »
    That's the great advantage of the Internet, you can't readily return things.

shouldn't that be the great advantage of high street shops then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

shouldn't that be the great advantage of high street shops then?

Yes, I wanted to post like you did above, but I was mad at the time and would probably have been banned for my trouble. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Must be nice to have all that extra money to throw into the local economy just because you feel guilty about abusing staff services.

Case in point the D90 you recommend, 699 on Amazon, about e805 (using xe.com, so I know not 100% accurate), 999 with Denis Macsweeney (this is online, but I'm assuming his instore is about the same). So the bones of 200 extra euro just so you can say "whoo me, I'm holding together the local economy".

If I go in and the guy who helps me out is decent, and gives me good advice, and there's some advantage to having a local contact, then maybe I'll buy it there, I'm not ruling it out (I bought my last telly in HN for exactly that reason, the sales guy was sound, very helpful and gave me a good price), but to chastise someone for not paying over the odds for exactly the same goods is a very poor act IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Must be nice to have all that extra money to throw into the local economy just because you feel guilty about abusing staff services.

If I go in and the guy who helps me out is decent, and gives me good advice, and there's some advantage to having a local contact, then maybe I'll buy it there, I'm not ruling it out (I bought my last telly in HN for exactly that reason, the sales guy was sound, very helpful and gave me a good price), but to chastise someone for not paying over the odds for exactly the same goods is a very poor act IMHO.
    But you stated your intention to exploit the services/knowledge of salaried employees in local stores.

TBH, the internet is made for shopping for something like a camera. There are loads of reviews out there and it's much easier to compare specs yourself from the comfort of your own home rather than have some sales assistant bombard you with techno jargon sales speak. The comfort issue you mentioned earlier is only really relevant if you intend to sit on it ;)

Advertisement