Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving in Bali

• 26-05-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Anyone here been over to Bali for some diving? I'm interested in heading over for a 2 weeks for a holiday, its toss up between this and sharm el sheikh. Would like to get a few wrecks in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Bali is great for diving,has a decent wreck and alot of crazy drift diving.Also it's the entry point to alot of spots throughout Indonesia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

There are some islands off Lombok, 3 of which are called the Gili islands. My brother dived off of the largest, Gili Trawangan. He said pretty much every dive was a drift dive, so I'd doubt its the best wreck diving spot - I thought I'd give you a heads up all the same!

http://www.trawangandive.com/gili-trawangan-dive-location.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hats

I have dived in quite a few countries (unfortunately I haven't dived the Red Sea yet), but I still maintain Bali is the best place I have dived. Up north in Tulamben there is fantastic diving, including wreck diving and drift diving. It is also great for macro diving if you are into that.

The only draw back with Bali, is that the "beaches" are actually boulders, so getting into the surf is a bit difficult with all the gear on - but you get used to it after a few dives.

Enjoy, wherever you end up going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

i know i am digging up an old thread but i am just back from Bali/Lombok/Gilis and done my OW + 9 more dives.

The diving in the Gilis is amazing big mix of dive locatgions from shore dives to boat dives and a couple of drift dive locations.

Visibility is nearly always ~15m.
    Lots of macro stuff and funky coral , plenty of turtles and small shraks too.

all the dive sites are short boat rides away.

we also dived around Nusa Penida about 30 min boat ride from the east coast of Bali (Sanur).

Dived at manta point and saw 4 massive manta rays including one doing a spectacular surface jump right in front of us.

There are some dive sites on the north of the island around Amed including a WW2 amercan naval boat diveable from the shore in Tulamben.

while its the only place i have dived i would thoroughly recommend it.

Advertisement