Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Galway airport

Options
  • 26-05-2011 11:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

Thanks Enda, Eamon and Leo, as someone once said " to hell or to Connacht " where's the outrage from our local elected reps who's parties are in power? Silence is all I hear!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Knock ↑
    Dublin →
    Shannon ↓

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

snubbleste wrote: »
    Knock ↑
    Dublin →
    Shannon ↓

That won't help the many friends I have working in there!!!!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Knock (No public transport link) ↑
    Dublin (2 and a half hours by public transport) →
    Shannon (Shíte public transport connection) ↓

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lapin wrote: »
    FYP.

All three airports have public transport from galway.

When is the airport closing btw? I missed that snippet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

FYP.

There's public service to Knock several times a day. Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Thanks Enda, Eamon and Leo, as someone once said " to hell or to Connacht " where's the outrage from our local elected reps who's parties are in power? Silence is all I hear!

........in case you had your head buried in the sand for the last 10 years, just thought I'd like to let you know that Fianna Fail wrecked the country.

Now that you know, i'm sure you'll have no problem finding Frank Fahey's office (ex FF TD in Galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dont really see it as a big issue, why should we the taxpayer be pumping money into another loss making subsidiary. If the airport is not commercially viable then so be it.

Fenster wrote: »
    There's public service to Knock several times a day. Huzzah!

Oh well thats ok then.

Close Galway Airport ta fuk and lets all get the bus to Knock instead.

Lets simply disregard the advantages that Galway Airport brings to the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Knock ↑
    Dublin →
    Shannon ↓
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

when is it closing?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Where did this come from I have not heard the news today, I personally cant see the Airport closing, I am sure something will happen to keep it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Has a closure been formally announced?

I'm not particularly surprised if it has. I have flown from there a few times out of convenience but it's generally been at a higher cost and I've never liked it. The range and frequency of flights there is poor. Pretty much every flight I've taken from there has been late. The security staff have always been unpleasant compared to most other airports I've visited. The baggage handlers have soaked my stuff by leaving it uncovered in heavy rain more than once.

Dont really see it as a big issue, why should we the taxpayer be pumping money into another loss making subsidiary. If the airport is not commercially viable then so be it.

Lets close the rail link to Galway too then.

If that logic was applied across the board, every airport in Ireland would have been closed by now.

And people living on the Aran Islands would still rely on local fishermen to get to the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 marcusgunn

Is it really beneficial to local businesses to keep it open?

Are there actually many non-passenger flights coming/going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Oh well thats ok then.

Close Galway Airport ta fuk and lets all get the bus to Knock instead.

Lets simply disregard the advantages that Galway Airport brings to the local economy.

What advantages does it bring to the local economy? (genuine question not being sarcastic)?

Personally I think there are far too many airports in Ireland to service a population of this size.

The main issue is of public transport to other airports still a poor service to Dublin as there are too many gaps in the timetables to make it a viable option for people on a tight schedule (business people?). The other airports may as well not have a service it is that poor.

Lets close the rail link to Galway too then.

If that logic was applied across the board, every airport in Ireland would have been closed by now.

And people living on the Aran Islands would still rely on local fishermen to get to the mainland.
    I would be 99% certain the rail links in and out of Galway are far more viable than the airport. If it had extended its runway and opened up to larger aircraft then it would have had a future but relying on small aircraft run by regional carriers isnt a money making venture, and i for one therefore would rather my taxes were spent more wisely. Pretty sure most islanders get ferries too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

No they wouldn't. The airports that are being considered for closure are no where near commercially viable (Galway, Sligo, Kerry, Donegal) where are the ones that don't need the state to prop them up are fine, like Knock. This is just common sense economic which is actually a welcome addition in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Public transport to Galway airport was at best sh*te. Otherwise I would have used it more. For the price and selection options of taxi/flight to Galway airport vs bus/flight to Dublin airport, the latter almost always won.

Sad to see jobs go, but I think a lot of people went to Dublin for convenience. There's the irony..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I think the loss of the airport would downgrade our city to would be investors, the likes of boston scientific and medtronic take all these factors into account when making decisions on wheather to stay at a location or invest. It sends out a bad message for business in galway. Maybe enda is hoping to help knock by closing Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Where did this come from I have not heard the news today, I personally cant see the Airport closing, I am sure something will happen to keep it open.

No formal announcement just yet, just this story in the Tribune.

Expect more news after a cabinet meeting on Monday apparently ...

• Advertisement

I think the loss of the airport would downgrade our city to would be investors, the likes of boston scientific and medtronic take all these factors into account when making decisions on wheather to stay at a location or invest. It sends out a bad message for business in galway. Maybe enda is hoping to help knock by closing Galway.
    I really doubt that the hour difference between getting from Shannon or Knock than Carnmore would be of such a dramatic nature as you suggest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

FlashD wrote: »
    ........in case you had your head buried in the sand for the last 10 years, just thought I'd like to let you know that Fianna Fail wrecked the country.

Now that you know, i'm sure you'll have no problem finding Frank Fahey's office (ex FF TD in Galway).

Let's close down everthing so! What are you ranting about fahey for and his frigging office, he got what he deserved and more will if this goes ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I doubt Boston Scientific or Medtronic use Galway Airport much. They don't have Manufacturing Facilities at any of Galway Airport Destinations.
    Shannon Airport is near enough to Galway for American Multinationals.
    American Multinational use Local Taxi Companies to chauffeur VIPs and sometimes Helicopters.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I think Medtronic got permission for one of their VIPS to use the new Ennis/Gort Road before it was officially open.

We need Independent Analysis on the Value For Money on Galway Airport. This country cannot afford to be spending money it doesn't have. This Government is correct in making such decisions for our long term good.

Don't get me started on the Limerick-Galway Train.........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Think positive. At least the government has no plans to remove all your lovely roundabouts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Knock is in Enda's constituency. Can't close that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

tonedef wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. The airports that are being considered for closure are no where near commercially viable (Galway, Sligo, Kerry, Donegal) where are the ones that don't need the state to prop them up are fine, like Knock. This is just common sense economic which is actually a welcome addition in this country

Kerry is not being considered for closure. Only Sligo, Galway, and Donegal.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Think positive. At least the government has no plans to remove all your lovely roundabouts:D
    city council have plans to replace the majority of roundabouts with traffic light junctions.

The multinationals I know don't use Galway airport (or Knock for that matter) much if at all. They use Shannon or Dublin to fly direct or connect through Heathrow or New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Webbs wrote: »
    What advantages does it bring to the local economy? (genuine question not being sarcastic)?

Silence from Lapin says it all.

In relation to the galway-dublin route:
    I travel abroad with work very regularly(at least once a month) and never use Galway Airport to connect to Dublin Airport:
    -Flights expensive,
    -Timetable is crap, flights dont sync with early morning flights from Dublin,
    -Flights unreliable,
    -Takes pretty much the same time(taking into account checking in, flight..) as driving to Dublin,

Why should the taxpayer subside a few well off people to fly from an uneconomical airport especially when the links to the other airports(road/rail/bus) have improved so much.

• Advertisement

I would rather see it expanded than closed but thats not going to happen. I haven't used it that often but it was great when I did. Getting off a plane and hopping into the car and home in 20 mins or less was really good, really easy for getting people to drop/collect you from there too due to being so close.

It put me off the place a bit when they changed it so you couldnt sit around and have a tea/drink unless you were going through security, it was a stupid move imo.

Overall though flights were working out too expensive compared to shannon in general so it just wasn't worth it, especially if you have people to drop you off and collect you from shannon and not relying on public transport.

Advertisement