Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Galway airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    To run a service to Shannon would either involve a shuttle from Sixmilebridge

This is the one bit that already exists: Bus Éireann, route 343.

:D

Pity about the train service to SMB, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Robbo wrote: »
    It cost €106 million to restore the 36 mile section between Athenry and Ennis, where there was an existing alignment. This is far slower than a bus and every single passenger is subsidised to the tune of €50.

To run a service to Shannon would either involve a shuttle from Sixmilebridge or build a new section across land which would have to be CPO'd with money that doesn't exist. If you were to do it right, you'd also need to re-align it coming into Athenry so that the Galway train arrives facing the "right" direction and the driver doesn't have to get out and swap ends.

It would be cheaper and quicker to just provide taxis for all to Shannon. Could help free up a bit of Eyre Square too...
    Well its really gonna have to be done some time if feul costs keep rising,in the meantime finish off the motorway

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1012/aerarann.html
    0003a3bd-314.jpg
    Aer Arann has announced its decision to suspend services at Galway Airport for the winter season.
    A full schedule will operate up to and including 31 October.
    Routes from Galway to London Southend, London Luton, Manchester, Edinburgh and Waterford are all affected.
    The Managing Director of Galway Airport addressed staff about the impact of the announcement on the future of the airport this morning.
    Passengers, affected by the change, will be contacted by the airline.
    Galway Chamber, which is the majority shareholder in the airport, said it was deeply disappointed at the announcement.
    Not good news for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I don't think it is the worst thing in the world for Galway, we have Shannon within an hour of Galway and Dublin Airport within 2.5 hours of Galway.

Sorry for anyone who will loose their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

NTC wrote: »
    I don't think it is the worst thing in the world for Galway, we have Shannon within an hour of Galway and Dublin Airport within 2.5 hours of Galway.

Sorry for anyone who will loose their job.

Don't forget Knock airport also within an hour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Surely this just confirms the fact that galway airport is a non runner and we need to concentrate on making shannon a better airport to serve the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Surely this is the final nail in the coffin for Galway Airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That Family Day didn't work did it..

GalwayAirport now to be converted into a park n ride with the purchase of a few thousand litres of white line paint and the re-training of staff as parking attendants and bus drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This has ruined my day :( I booked my Xmas flights home back in July (they were all sold out for the xmas period by August), and was really excited. I live ten mins from the airport so it minimises putting family members out for pick up.

Last year it was hell trying to get home from London with 'the big freeze' but we managed in the end with minimal delays from Aer Arann..it was fantastic. I booked well in advance again this year..only for it to be cancelled at and for us to find alternative flights at this late stage. Really annoyed; I fly with them about 5 times back and forth a year and family and friends use it to come over all the time.

I know Knock and Shannon still operate but if we are in for a winter like last years...

Not looking forward to the slow boat back to Ireland this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

from Galway to Manchester Total Price: EUR 95.00
    09:50 Fri 21 Oct AerArann Regional
    From Shannon to Manchester Total Price: EUR 41.26
    07:00 Fri 21 Oct aerlingus

no bagges one way .... same plane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Have a bro-in-law his wife and a fiend working there but cannot see the sense it keeping it open. I do feel sympathy for those working there but it's a no-brainer. The west will still be well serviced by Shannon & Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

With Shannon now less than 1hr away Galway's days were numbered. But Knock has really been biting at the heels lately with advertising everywhere... its mad to think Knock in the middle of a bog can work and Galway can't. I understand the runway is restricted but its still interesting with a city on its doorstep its doesn't work.

Sorry about the job losses, small airports are like a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Will we get our money back? I have flights booked for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

joey12 wrote: »
    With Shannon now less than 1hr away Galway's days were numbered. But Knock has really been biting at the heels lately with advertising everywhere... its mad to think Knock in the middle of a bog can work and Galway can't. I understand the runway is restricted but its still interesting with a city on its doorstep its doesn't work.

Knock put a lot of political pressure to ensure Galway did not expand or relocate to the lands owned by the dept of defence in Oranmore a few years back. Expansion to cater for larger aircraft was essencial for it's viability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The failure to build an airport with a runway capable of safely landing a 737 or an A320 is entirely our own fault in Galway. Nothing to do with them Knockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Will we get our money back? I have flights booked for November.
    Yes. Ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But surely we've reached the stage where someone could drop 1 person with check in luggage at the door of the airport and then if they left the airport and headed straight for Dublin on the motorway at a legal speed, they'd be at Dublin airport waiting in the arrivals hall by the time the passenger checked in, boarded, flew, landed and collected their luggage from the conveyor.
    (I smell a Top Gear challange, after all How Hard Can It Be?)

The Galway to Dublin flights ended earlier in the summer when the subsidy was removed.

I agree that access from Shannon or Dublin will mean we don't lose out.
    It is a pity the airport wasn't moved during the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

The Galway to Dublin flights ended earlier in the summer when the subsidy was removed.

I agree that access from Shannon or Dublin will mean we don't lose out.
    It is a pity the airport wasn't moved during the bubble.
    The only problem is access to Shannon. You're relying on someone to drive you there unless your flights fit into the very limited Bus Eireann timetable. At least Dublin has a reliable and frequent bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

its mad to think Knock in the middle of a bog can work and Galway can't. I understand the runway is restricted but its still interesting with a city on its doorstep its doesn't work.

It's not just the runway at Knock, there are many derelict runways across Europe. It's the way it's managed - lean cost base and ability to work with low cost airlines, a strategy to develop infrastructure and provide a measurable return on investment. Ireland West ability to break even and make profit (for many years without subvention), and grow numbers significantly puts it in clear contrast with other regional airports. And primarily it's the fact people are actively choosing to use it's services.

Galway is failing to fill 50 seater economical turbo props even with the government support, niche routes and protected airline it has (even after splitting loads with Waterford). It would have an even bigger challenge if it had a to fill 200 seater jets (and pay for upgraded fire, ATC and handling services) while still competing with airlines at Shannon and Ireland West and Dublin. It's not a given that it would be any less dependent on subvention, probably more so as all 3 airports would have a further diluted market to make up for. There isn't the demand for 3 Ryanair bases within 50 miles of each other and the airlines would continuously churn routes and play one off against the other while the taxpayer picked up the bill.

The location may not be convenient to your mind, but 25% of its users were traveling to Galway at one stage. It's is central in the wider Connaught region within 1.5 hours of over 800,000 people. If M17/18 and other infrastructure projects were completed, Shannon and Ireland West would be much easier access from Galway while far enough apart to serve the whole West while maintaining their own markets. At the end of the day that would offer more frequent services and a stable route network to the greater benefit of access across the whole Western region.

• Advertisement

At least Dublin has a reliable and frequent bus service.

And from the city centre, a bus to Dublin airport costs the same as a taxi to Galway airport!

snubbleste wrote: »
    GalwayAirport now to be converted into a park n ride with the purchase of a few thousand litres of white line paint and the re-training of staff as parking attendants and bus drivers

I'm sure you jest, but perhaps it's not such a dumb idea. They're looking for a P&R site on that side of town, and I suspect that the airport already has planning for a carpark, (and doesn't have a hardstand next door).

There are lots of under-used buses and bus-drivers in the tourist "off season".

And if they start it quickly, it could lessen the pain of the Briarhill RAB roadworks.

Perhaps it could become Galway Multi-modal Port.

(No, I'm not kidding.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

a good bus service to Shannon would be enough. galway doesn't need an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The only problem is access to Shannon. You're relying on someone to drive you there unless your flights fit into the very limited Bus Eireann timetable. At least Dublin has a reliable and frequent bus service.

Used Shannon twice in the past few weeks, Bus Eireann operate Galway to Shannon Airport and to Galway every hour. Bus no 51

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272287885-51.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Funny you should stay that Mike. I'm planning a trip to Shannon next month and amazed that the Bus Eireann from the airport to Galway takes over two hours.

Public transport in this country is a joke.

The death knell of the Galway Airport has been on the cards for a long time at this stage. Feel sorry for the staff, but it made no sense with Shannon and Knock so near, and Dublin much closer thanks to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Used Shannon twice in the past few weeks, Bus Eireann operate Galway to Shannon Airport and to Galway every hour. Bus no 51

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272287885-51.pdf
    True. I was showing my personal bias here. I normally fly early morning flights and, if you're looking to be there the standard two hours before departure time, Bus Eireann is only good for flights from 10:50 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

galwayrush wrote: »

Knock put a lot of political pressure to ensure Galway did not expand or relocate to the lands owned by the dept of defence in Oranmore a few years back. Expansion to cater for larger aircraft was essencial for it's viability.

There are 5 airports between Shannon and Donegal with what 1 million people max.
    The sums don't add up.
    You can drive to Shannon or Knock in about an hour or to Dublin airport in 3 hours.
    Galway airport is an unaffordable luxury and should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

galwayrush wrote: »

I have to laugh at this. Mayo had 3 FG tds for years its a FG stronghold and they had no clout in Gov.What clout was there in Mayo since PEEEE Flynn quit and his offspring Bev was useless.
    Galway had more influence in FF Gov's.

Knock is handier for people from North of Tuam to Sligo and Shannon was always handier for people who could avoid Gort before it Bypassed.

Just because Galway is a City does not mean it had a population big enough to support an Airport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22109-airport-crux-will-hit-galway-job-creation-efforts

Time we rebranded Shannon to "Galway Limerick International" which is what it is now. Eh!
    Mr Murren said the airport is a vital piece of infrastructure and an important tool used to attract investment; and therefore the pull-out of Aer Arann, the sole commercial airline operating at Galway Airport, could impact on the attractiveness of Galway as a allocation, he said.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

47 people are being laid off soon at the airport until the summer at least, according to the wireless.

Advertisement