Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL vs NGB

• 26-05-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all

I am currently on the "DSL Home + Talk" package from Digiweb. I have seen an offering on their website for Next Generation Broadband and my local exchange is already upgraded. The package I'm interested in is the "NGB & Talk Anytime". Can anyone tell me if this is better than the current package I'm on or if there is any downside to it? My (extremely limited) understanding of it is that this should be an upgrade but I thought I'd check here first just in case! :)

Many thanks for any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

NGB is a marketing gimmick, designed to make it look like eircom are actually competing and doing something. NGB broadband is the exact same as you have now. The only difference is you'll get the most your line can handle, up to an 8Mbps limit, rather than choosing 1/3/7Mbps. The pricing also differs, but it is not any kind of an upgrade in technology or capability.

The exchanges were supposed to have been given an upgrade in backhaul capability, to reduce congestion. There is mixed opinion on whether that has worked or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DC5_ITR

Thanks alot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

DC5_ITR wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am currently on the "DSL Home + Talk" package from Digiweb. I have seen an offering on their website for Next Generation Broadband

I'm in a similar boat; I currently have DSL Anytime Talk (€55.99 inc VAT per month, 3MB). As Digiweb said my area (Greystones) isn't NGB enabled I looked at their current DSL (non NGB) offers & asked to be switched to DSL Personal + Talk (€49.99 inc VAT per month).....exact same product except €6 per month cheaper & 30mins free calls to Irish & UK mobiles per month. :)

Moral; keep an eye on their package prices & make sure you're not paying over the odds for older products. I'd be on UPC like a flash (far better/faster & cheaper) but my estate can't get it.

On the downside, despite Digiweb telling me my exchange isn't NGB enabled they couldn't even tell me what exchange I'm connected to (the Bray exchange is NGB enabled) or tell me if or when my line would be NGB enabled (maybe this is down to Eircom's lack of communication with Digiweb though...unsure).

Does anyone know what the easiest way is for me to find out what Exchange I'm on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jor el is spot on with that. There's a recent complication in that eircom are now offering certain customers on the bigger packages ADSL2+ speeds, which is a real upgrade in technology used albeit still current generation tech. There's also more packages available recently which have the up to 24mbps speeds though with higher cost of course and also with reduced availability compared to plain jane ADSL.

Advertisement