Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei B260a

• 26-05-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to change to a different provider,have a laptop,phone and PS3 running off the Motorola router atm.
    Is the B260a any good?mostly using it for browsing,downloading occasionally,and frequently online-gaming.
    Is it hard to configure/set up on the Three Network?
    Interested in other users experiences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's your current service provider? 3 provide midband, not really suited to gaming or multiple connections. The choice of modem/router is largely irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Eircom- cost cutting plan.
    You wouldn't recommend it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Definitely not. You're switching from broadband to dial up. You may as well kiss goodbye to your gaming if you move to Three. Look into alternate DSL providers, cable or fixed wireless to save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 murphy10101

well, at the moment i have my fone acting as my wifi router and it need to be beside the window to pick up a signal. even with the fone from time to time, it changes from a "H" signal of 2-4 mb to a "3G" signal which is no good and can have no connection at another time!... ya so i was thinking that if i put an Aerial on the roof beside the uhf aerial connected to a router ( probably the hauwei b260a router from three)! wondered would this stop the signal loss from time to time! any ideas if this will work or the products to use?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

jor el wrote: »
    Definitely not. You're switching from broadband to dial up. You may as well kiss goodbye to your gaming if you move to Three. Look into alternate DSL providers, cable or fixed wireless to save money.

Sorry dude but midband is more than able to handle online gaming. I play online on the pc and xbox of E5830 and it works grand. You dont need an extemely fast broaband for online gaming, just need a decent ping.

Obviously with mid band ping is higher than conventional fixed line. But hasnt troubled me yet. My friends also tether ps3 of their android phones on meteor and it works grand without a glitch.

But also this can vary according to the area your in. How many users are in the area and how good the coverage is.

In both of my cases i have full coverage with Three and my friends have full coverage with Meteor 3G. In most cases meteor provides faster broadband speeds and lower ping with all the times i have tested it.

Though if u can avail fixed broadband in your area go for it. I live in the middle of nowhere and cant get UPC so im stuck with mobile broadband.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement