Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook with HDMI and SD card slot

Options
  • 26-05-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

AS the title suggests I am in the market for such a product.
    Any ideas?
    Just don't want to get ripped off.
    I suppose budget is around 400euro.

Ta

Comments

Just wondering, what's the requirement for HDMI and SD card slot for? Is it by any chance to watch movie files/photos on a large screen TV, cos there are waay easier/cheaper ways to do that if it's all you need that spec for?

aside from that, you could try this site: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

Seems to be well vouched for by posters around these parts, and offers some of the best prices i've seen on consumer machines. I got some good recommendations on laptop offers from there that beat anything i found in ireland spec and price wise, even when i factored in delivery costs from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Just wondering, what's the requirement for HDMI and SD card slot for? Is it by any chance to watch movie files/photos on a large screen TV, cos there are waay easier/cheaper ways to do that if it's all you need that spec for?

aside from that, you could try this site: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

Seems to be well vouched for by posters around these parts, and offers some of the best prices i've seen on consumer machines. I got some good recommendations on laptop offers from there that beat anything i found in ireland spec and price wise, even when i factored in delivery costs from the UK.

Yeah you're correct, for watching HQ/HD movies should I need it.
    So what are the waay easier/cheaper ways to do it?
    I've a panasonic tv. No usb slots. It has a SD card slot but the file types it'll play are fairly limited.
    It has a VGA but that doesn't cut it for me. Lots of HDMI's.
    Thanks

Dony wrote: »
    Yeah you're correct, for watching HQ/HD movies should I need it.
    So what are the waay easier/cheaper ways to do it?
    I've a panasonic tv. No usb slots. It has a SD card slot but the file types it'll play are fairly limited.

Well, i was looking at doing something very similar a while ago, and the issue is that DVI or HDMI out puts you into digital graphics card territory, which adds another €100-200 onto your price tag for your laptop. I eventually settled on a 35 euro philips DVD player from curry's that has a USB slot on the front and plays DIVX and AVI formats, and a free bit of software on the PC Called Dr.DivX that batch converts movie files into DivX format, and now use a 2gb memory stick that cost a tenner to watch movies off on the 46 inch, in whatever resolution i decide to set the batch converter to output to, all the way up to HD.

If you're happy to stick with the SD card slot, you could probably just get away with using a bit of software that batch converts to whatever format your TV likes, if different to the one i used above. a bit of googling will find that for you. The one i mentioned will do 10 full length movies overnight, and i just knock off the PC when it's done next morning.

In addition, by going for the DVD player option, I have the benefit of a proper remote control with a full range of all the buttons you'd expect, which you don't get if you use a laptop unless you buy a peripheral.

if it's any use, I was also looking at USB to HDMI media boxes like this:
    http://www.chinavasion.com/hdd-media-players/mini-digital-media-player-for-tv/

And HDMI media hard drives like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-ScreenPlay-Ethernet-Multimedia-34151/dp/B001GGI7ES

but i figured out that just driving up to curry's and replacing the DVD player was way less hassle than bothering with any of those.:D
    I haven't bought the laptop that i was planning to buy yet, but i reckon when i do i'll have saved myself about €200 just by not needing the HDMI out and going for an integrated graphics spec instead.

Hope some of this is useful.

Advertisement